Coupled diffusion equations code

In summary: Z(j,i))); end endIn summary, the code should be set up to use one grid for both equations and should iterate through each equation in turn while applying the boundary conditions at each step. This can be done by initializing the grid to zeros and then updating it at each step of the loop.
robby991
Hi, I am trying to solve a problem using the central difference scheme in Matlab where there are two coupled diffusion equations (where both diffusion equations depend on S(i,j)). They are as follows:

Code:
dS/dt = Ds * d^2S/dx^2 - Vmax[B]S[/B]/Km+[B]S[/B]
and 

dP/dt = Dp * d^2P/dx^2 - Vmax[B]S[/B]/Km+[B]S[/B]

with boundary conditions

Code:
dS/dx(x=0) = 0;  S(x=d,t) =0;

and

P(x=0,t)=0; P(x=d,t)=0;

I am unsure how to setup the code and I was wondering if anyone can help. From what I understand I need to setup only 1 grid, call it Z, with grid spacing in the space (numt) and time (numx) domain. So first inititalize it to zeros.

Code:
Z = zeros(numt,numx);

Now I am confused as to how the loop will be setup for iterations, as there will be two different equations with their associated boundary conditions stepping through the same grid. I don't understand how this can be done without overwriting each other. Here is some code I wrote, where I assumed 2 separate grids, 1 for S and 1 for P. I would appreciate some help in re-writing it for 1 grid, or if someone can provide an explanation on how to do it. Thanks.

Code:
%specify initial conditions%

t(1) = 0;                 %1st t position = 0
S(1,:) = S0;                        
P(:,numx)=0;

% Dirchelet Boundary Conditions, where Neumann BC dS/dx=0 is in body of for loop
S(:,numx) = S0;          %S(x=d,t)=S0
P(:,1) = 0;              %P(x=0,t)=0
P(:,numx) = 0;           %P(x=d,t)=0

%iterate central difference equation% 

for j=1:numt-1  

%2nd Derivative Central Difference Substrate Iteration% 

for i=2:numx-1
      S(j+1,i) = S(j,i) + (dts/dxs^2)*Ds*(S(j,i+1) - 2*S(j,i) + S(j,i-1))-((Vmax*dts*S(j,i))/(Km+S(j,i))); 
    end

S(j+1,1)=S(j,1)+dts*Ds*2*(S(j,2)-S(j,1))./dxs.^2-((Vmax*dts*S(j,i))/(Km+S(j,i)));      %Neumann Boundary Condition

end

for j=1:numt-1  

%2nd Derivative Central Difference Iteration% 

for i=2:numx-1
      P(j+1,i) = P(j,i) + (dtp/dxp^2)*Dp*(P(j,i+1) - 2*P(j,i) + P(j,i-1))+((Vmax*dtp*S(j,i))/(Km+S(j,i))); 
    end

end

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is that you can use the same grid for both equations. You should set up a loop that iterates through each of the equations in turn, updating the grid at each step. The boundary conditions should be applied at each step. For example: %specify initial conditions%t(1) = 0; %1st t position = 0Z(:,numx)=0;% Dirchelet Boundary Conditions, where Neumann BC dS/dx=0 is in body of for loopZ(:,1) = 0; %P(x=0,t)=0Z(:,numx) = 0; %P(x=d,t)=0%iterate central difference equation% for j=1:numt-1 %2nd Derivative Central Difference Substrate Iteration% for i=2:numx-1 Z(j+1,i) = Z(j,i) + (dts/dxs^2)*Ds*(Z(j,i+1) - 2*Z(j,i) + Z(j,i-1))-((Vmax*dts*Z(j,i))/(Km+Z(j,i))); end Z(j+1,1)=Z(j,1)+dts*Ds*2*(Z(j,2)-Z(j,1))./dxs.^2-((Vmax*dts*Z(j,i))/(Km+Z(j,i))); %Neumann Boundary Condition %2nd Derivative Central Difference Product Iteration% for i=2:numx-1 Z(j+1,i) = Z(j,i) + (dtp/dxp^2)*Dp*(Z(j,i+1) - 2*Z(j,i) + Z(j,i-1))+((Vmax*dtp*Z(j,i))/(K

1. What are coupled diffusion equations?

Coupled diffusion equations are a type of mathematical model used to describe the movement and interaction of multiple substances or particles in a given system. This includes the diffusion of substances, as well as any chemical reactions or other processes that may be occurring simultaneously.

2. How are coupled diffusion equations solved?

Coupled diffusion equations are typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, which involve breaking down the equations into smaller, more manageable parts and solving them iteratively. This requires the use of specialized computer programs or codes.

3. What are some real-world applications of coupled diffusion equations?

Coupled diffusion equations have a wide range of applications in various scientific fields, including chemistry, physics, biology, and environmental science. They are often used to model diffusion and reaction processes in biological systems, chemical reactions in industrial processes, and transport of pollutants in the environment, among others.

4. What is the role of boundary conditions in coupled diffusion equations?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in solving coupled diffusion equations, as they define the behavior of the system at the edges or boundaries. These conditions can include the concentration or flux of a substance at the boundary, as well as any other constraints or interactions that may affect the diffusion process.

5. How can I validate the results of a coupled diffusion equations code?

The best way to validate the results of a coupled diffusion equations code is to compare them with experimental data or results from other models. It is also important to carefully choose and test various parameters and boundary conditions to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the code.