Solving this type of recurrence equation

In summary, The conversation is about solving a recurrence equation with a boundary condition and finding a general method for solving such equations. Suggestions are given to use constant sequences and additional conditions for g and P to find a solution. The use of z-transforms and discrete Fourier transform is also mentioned as potential methods for solving the equation.
samuelandjw
Hi,

The problem is to solve
[tex](1-g_{i+1})P_{i+1}-P_{i}+g_{i-1}P_{i-1}=0[/tex]
for [tex]P_{i}[/tex]
with boundary condition
[tex]P_{i}=P_{i+L}, g_{i}=g_{i+L}[/tex]
Can anyone provide any guide of solving this type of recurence equation?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't know of any general methods for solving recurrence relations in several unknown functions.

Since setting g and P to be constant sequences gives a solution to the problem, I suggest that you state additional conditions that g and P must satistfy if having them constant isn't what you are after.

Stephen Tashi said:
I don't know of any general methods for solving recurrence relations in several unknown functions.

Since setting g and P to be constant sequences gives a solution to the problem, I suggest that you state additional conditions that g and P must satistfy if having them constant isn't what you are after.

Thanks for your reply.

In my problem, [tex]g_i[/tex] is given and arbitrary, so in general [tex]g_i[/tex] is not a constant sequence.

Then, as I interpret the problem, it amounts to solving [itex] L [/itex] simultaneous linear equations with constant coefficients and unknowns [itex] P_1,P_2,..P_L [/itex].

Are you looking for a closed form symbolic answer instead of a numerical one?

( The wikipedia article on "recurrence relation" says that linear constant coefficient difference equations can be solved with z-transforms. I, myself, have never done that. )

Because both [itex]\lbrace P_{i}\rbrace[/itex] and [itex]\lbrace g_{i}\rbrace[/itex] are period with a common period of L, you should use the discrete Fourier transform:

[tex]
P_{i} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{L}} \, \sum_{k = 0}^{L - 1}{\tilde{P}_{k} \, \exp{\left(\frac{2 \pi j k \, i}{L}\right)}}
[/tex]
and similarly for [itex]g_{i}[/itex]. Then you will use the convolution theorem for the products.

1. What is a recurrence equation?

A recurrence equation is a mathematical equation that relates each term of a sequence to one or more previous terms. It can be used to model and solve problems that involve repeated or recursive processes.

2. How do I solve a recurrence equation?

To solve a recurrence equation, you need to find a closed-form solution, which is a formula that directly calculates the value of any term in the sequence without having to go through the previous terms. This can be done using various techniques such as substitution, iteration, and generating functions.

3. What is the difference between a linear and a nonlinear recurrence equation?

A linear recurrence equation has a form where the next term in the sequence is a linear combination of the previous terms, while a nonlinear recurrence equation does not have a linear form. Linear recurrence equations are easier to solve compared to nonlinear ones.

4. Can recurrence equations be used in real-world applications?

Yes, recurrence equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, computer science, finance, and biology. They can be used to model and predict population growth, analyze algorithms, and solve optimization problems, among others.

5. Are there any tools or software to help solve recurrence equations?

Yes, there are several tools and software that can help with solving recurrence equations, such as Wolfram Alpha, MATLAB, and Python libraries like SymPy and SciPy. These tools provide various functions and algorithms to find closed-form solutions and analyze recurrence equations.