Is the use of the term 'general form' correct for variable functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the term 'general form' to describe functions that are true for more than one value of the variable. The participants also discuss the appropriateness of using this term and suggest using 'equation' instead to avoid confusion. The term 'general form' is also defined as a change in parameters resulting in a new function. It is noted that there is no specific term to describe the function in the initial example given.
mesa
Gold Member
For certain types of functions I have been using the term 'general form' as a way of stating that some function of some variable(s) is true for more than one value of the variable (usually an infinite number). Here is a simple example,

1=cos(2∏x)

There have been (at times) where the use of this term has caused confusion so it would seem this may not be the best terminology, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mesa said:
For certain types of functions I have been using the term 'general form' as a way of stating that some function of some variable(s) is true for more than one value of the variable (usually an infinite number).
You lost me. You can talk about equations or inequalities being true, but functions generally evaluate to numbers.
mesa said:
Here is a simple example,

1=cos(2∏x)
The equation above is true for specific values of x; namely, when x is an integer. I don't see how 'general form' applies here.
mesa said:
There have been (at times) where the use of this term has caused confusion so it would seem this may not be the best terminology, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark44 said:
You lost me. You can talk about equations or inequalities being true, but functions generally evaluate to numbers.

That is surprising considering the function (for this example) evaluates to a number and is a representation where this statement is 'true', as in if we were instead looking for a 'solution' to the variable then one could understand 'being lost'.

In light of all this it would seem I should not be using the term 'function' and instead replace it with 'equation' so as to avoid confusion for cases of this type. Thanks for the insight!

Mark44 said:
The equation above is true for specific values of x; namely, when x is an integer. I don't see how 'general form' applies here.

Excellent point, I should have added ##\{x\in \mathbb{N}\}## to the example.

Considering this correction (and my apologies for having not added this important detail) would stating the function, 1=sin(2∏x) ##\{x\in \mathbb{N}\}## is a 'general form' be correct terminology? If not then what would be?

Last edited:
Mark44 said:

mesa said:
That is surprising considering the function (for this example) evaluates to a number and is a representation where this statement is 'true', as in if we were instead looking for a 'solution' to the variable then one could understand 'being lost'.
In the equation of your example, sin(##2\pi x##) is a function that we can evaluate for arbitrary values of x. When you add "= 1" you are constraining the possible values of x that make the equation a true statement.
mesa said:
In light of all this it would seem I should not be using the term 'function' and instead replace it with 'equation' so as to avoid confusion for cases of this type. Thanks for the insight!
Yes.
Mark44 said:

mesa said:
Excellent point, I should have added ##\{x\in \mathbb{N}\}## to the example.
I don't see why. All you're doing is explicitly stating the solution set for the equation.
mesa said:
Considering this correction (and my apologies for having not added this important detail) would stating the function, 1=sin(2∏x) ##\{x\in \mathbb{N}\}## is a 'general form' be correct terminology? If not then what would be?
No, it's not a general form. Again, all you have is an equation and its solution set.

An example of a general form is the equation Ax + By = C, which is the general equation of a straight line in two dimensions. A, B, and C are parameters here, and x and y are the variables. This is a general form of a line equation because every line in the plane is described by specific choices for the three parameters.

Mark44 said:
An example of a general form is the equation Ax + By = C, which is the general equation of a straight line in two dimensions. A, B, and C are parameters here, and x and y are the variables. This is a general form of a line equation because every line in the plane is described by specific choices for the three parameters.

I understand, Hallsofivy had added similar insight while giving information about family of functions. So when speaking about 'general form' this term is used to refer to a change in parameters for which each results in an entirely new function.

Is the term 'general form' restricted to apply when a family of functions represents every possibility, e.g. (Ax=D), (Ax+By=D), (Ax+By+Cz=D), etc. for which ##\mathbb{R^n}## the functions are in?

Finally, what is the correct term to use to describe function like the example that was laid out initially?

mesa said:
I understand, Hallsofivy had added similar insight while giving information about family of functions. So when speaking about 'general form' this term is used to refer to a change in parameters for which each results in an entirely new function.

Is the term 'general form' restricted to apply when a family of functions represents every possibility, e.g. (Ax=D), (Ax+By=D), (Ax+By+Cz=D), etc. for which ##\mathbb{R^n}## the functions are in?
Or general equation. The first equation above indicates a point on a line ; the second, a line in the plane (R2); the third, a plane in space (R3).
mesa said:
Finally, what is the correct term to use to describe function like the example that was laid out initially?
I don't think there is a special term. It was just an equation involving a trig function.

mesa said:
that some function of some variable(s) is true

A function f(x) whose range is the real numbers doesn't have the range { "true", "false"} so you you shouldn't speak of the function as being "true".

An equation can be regarded as a statement that is a function of variables. From that point of view, an equation can be regarded as a function that has the range {"true", "false"}, so it isn't completely improper to speak of an equation as being "true" for certain values of the variables. However, a better terminology is to say that an equation "is satisfied" by certain values of the variables. If you say "This equation is true" or "This equation is false" it might be interpreted to mean that the equation does or does not correctly describe some paricular law of physics or mathemetics.

An equation f(x) = c for an arbitrary constant c has at most 1 solution when f is a 1 to 1 mapping from the real numbers to the real numbers. If you want to say that there exist particular values of c for which f(x) has more than one solution, you could say that f(x) is "many to 1" or "not 1 to 1". If you want to pick only one particular value of c, such as in the equation f(x) = 1 then I don't know of any concise terminology that says the equation has multiple solutions. So just say that the equation f(x) = 1 has multiple solutions.

Perhaps you aren't thinking about the function f(x) itself. You might be thinking that the equation f(x) = c implicitly defines a function x = g(c) that "solves the equation for x". Is that what you want to know about?

mesa said:
I have been using the term 'general form' as a way of stating that some function of some variable(s) is true for more than one value of the variable (usually an infinite number). Here is a simple example,

1=cos(2∏x)

To me, it seems "a function of some variable is true for more that one value of the variable" would be a "non-injective" function or "not a one-to-one" function. My interpretation is that you are saying that there exist at least two inputs that give the same output value. The function is also periodic: that seems a more important term to use for trigonometric functions of this type.

The "general form" is just a structuring of an equation so that you can easily classify the graphical and numerical properties. In other words, if I look at ##y = x^2 -6x + 5##, I can tell you a lot of things without actually graphing or making tables of values.

1. What does the term "general form" mean in relation to variable functions?

The term "general form" refers to the most basic or simplified representation of a variable function. It typically includes all possible terms and coefficients that could be present in the function, without specifying any specific values or restrictions.

2. Is the use of the term "general form" limited to specific types of variable functions?

No, the term "general form" can be used for any type of variable function, including linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. It simply indicates that the function is written in its most general or all-encompassing form.

3. Can the general form of a variable function be manipulated or simplified further?

Yes, the general form of a variable function can be manipulated using algebraic methods to simplify or transform it into a different form. For example, a quadratic function in general form can be factored to reveal its roots, or a logarithmic function in general form can be rewritten in exponential form.

4. How is the general form of a variable function different from its standard or canonical form?

The general form of a variable function includes all possible terms and coefficients, while the standard or canonical form usually has a specific format or structure that may be easier to work with or interpret. For example, the standard form of a quadratic function is ax^2 + bx + c, while the general form includes all possible values of a, b, and c.

5. Why is it important to understand the general form of a variable function?

Understanding the general form of a variable function allows for a deeper understanding of its behavior and properties. It also allows for easier comparison and analysis of different functions, as they can all be written in their most general form. Additionally, manipulating the general form can help in solving equations and making predictions about the function's behavior.