What Causes Lattice-Like Aberrations in a Gaussian Laser Beam Path?

• Thread starter silin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optical
In summary: I'll have to take it to the technician to check.In summary, the beam profile in the attached picture is an aberration caused by an optical element in the light path. It is not clear from your initial post whether you have a laser cavity set up. If you do, then it is possible there are higher order transverse modes being excited. If not, it is probably a dirty optical element (from my past experience this is the cause of 90% of such problems). Failing this, I would think the laser itself would be the next thing to check out, make sure there is no feedback into the laser and make sure you are operating within the laser's coherence length. Beyond this, it's tough to diagnose something like this
silin
Does anybody know what can be the reason for such an aberration of initially Gaussian shaped laser beam (see attached picture)? Optical elements in the light path: linearly polarized diode 470nm laser, single mode polarization conserving fiber, collimator, mirror, lens, round 50 micrometer pinhole, lens, filter for 470nm line, dichroic beam splitter reflecting 470nm light, mirror, Olympus IX70 microscope. The picture is the beam profile after the tube lens in the microscope. I have already checked all elemets for causing this aberration by removing them one by one, the problem with this lattice like beam shape becomes really pronounced when I leave both lenses in the optical path, but it loos really strange, as if some kind of diffraction pattern. If somebody has any idea please tell, it´s pretty urgent.

Attachments

• beam.JPG
    beam.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 445
Science news on Phys.org
Wow, looks like you're getting some structure there.

It's not clear from your initial post whether you have a laser cavity set up. If you do, then it is possible there are higher order transverse modes being excited.

If not, it is probably a dirty optical element (from my past experience this is the cause of 90% of such problems). Failing this, I would think the laser itself would be the next thing to check out, make sure there is no feedback into the laser and make sure you are operating within the laser's coherence length.

Beyond this, it's tough to diagnose something like this without a detailed knowledge of the system, as there are lots of little subtlelties that might come into play.

Claude.

Claude,

Could this be, or is it already, used to check the cleanliness of a multi surface optical system? Do you have more information about it?

Integral,

Not to my knowledge. For a precise measurement on the cleanliness of a surface, there are several tools we use, all of which are fairly expensive, They include scanning electron microscopes, optical profilers and Differential Interferance Contrast (DIC) microscopes.

Silin,

Another though came to mind; Double check that your polarisation preserving fibre is single mode at 470 nm.

Claude.

Thank you for the replies. I have done what you said and found that the problem is in the microscope. Probably there is some dirt in it, but it's amazing that the pattern is so regular.

1. What are optical aberrations?

Optical aberrations refer to imperfections in the way light is focused by an optical system, resulting in distortion or blurring of the image. They can be caused by factors such as the shape or alignment of lenses, as well as the materials and coatings used.

2. How do optical aberrations affect image quality?

Optical aberrations can cause a decrease in image sharpness, contrast, and color accuracy. They can also introduce unwanted visual artifacts, such as glare or halos, into the image.

3. What are the different types of optical aberrations?

There are several types of optical aberrations, including spherical aberration, chromatic aberration, coma, astigmatism, and distortion. Each type affects the image in a different way and is caused by different factors.

4. Can optical aberrations be corrected?

Yes, there are various methods for correcting or minimizing optical aberrations. These include using specialized lens designs, using multiple lenses in a system, and applying coatings to the lenses to reduce reflections.

5. How can I avoid or reduce optical aberrations in my experiments?

To avoid or reduce optical aberrations, it is important to carefully select and align the lenses in your optical system. Using high-quality lenses and coatings can also help minimize aberrations. Additionally, understanding the characteristics of different types of aberrations and how they affect your specific experiment can help you make informed decisions when designing your optical setup.