Optimizing Exercise: Graphing Restrictions for Calorie and Cost Goals

• Thread starter might hire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where Remesh wants to develop a weekly exercise program that will burn 4800 calories, cost no more than $24, and require a maximum of 8 hours. They establish that Remesh burns 400 calories per hour running and 300 calories per hour riding his bike. It costs $6 per hour to ride in the velodrome. The restrictions for graphing the problem are x (running) and y (biking) must both be greater than or equal to 0, x+y must be less than or equal to 8, and y must be less than or equal to 4. They also consider the restriction of 400x+300y being greater than or equal to
might hire
Okay, here is the problem, ; Remesh likes to run outdoors and ride his bicycle at the veledrome. He burns about 400 calories/h running, and 300/h riding his bike. It costs $6/h to ride in the veledrome. Ramesh hopes to develope a weekly exersise program that will burn 4800 calories, cost no more than $24, and require a maximum of 8 hours... Now I need the restrictions to graph this problem, (x=running/h; y=bike/h) I so far have; x (> or equal to) 0, y (> or equal to) 0, x+y (< or equal to) 8, and y (< or equal to) 4. I think I'm missing one, and think it might have to do with the calories, so is 400x+300y (> or equal to) 4800. But would it be applicable to the hour restriction? Thanks in Advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
well the way i figure it it cannot be done in eight hours, even if he runs the entire 8 hours he is only burning 3200 cal

Wow, I see that now, the problem is unsolvable, thanks Mike, you saved me a lot of writing! lol

What is graphing and why is it important in problem situations?

Graphing is a visual representation of data or information using a series of points, lines, bars, or other symbols. It is important in problem situations because it allows us to see patterns and trends in the data, making it easier to analyze and understand the information.

How do I choose the right type of graph for a problem situation?

The type of graph you choose depends on the type of data you have and the purpose of your graph. For example, if you have numerical data, a line graph or bar graph would be appropriate, whereas if you have categorical data, a pie chart or bar graph would be better suited. Consider the variables and the story you want to tell with your data when choosing the right type of graph.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when graphing problem situations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when graphing problem situations include using the wrong type of graph, not labeling or titling your graph, and not using a consistent scale. It is also important to avoid misleading or incorrect representations of data, such as using a non-zero baseline on a bar graph.

How can I use graphing to solve problems more effectively?

Graphing can help solve problems more effectively by providing a visual representation of data, allowing us to identify patterns and trends, and make comparisons between different sets of data. It can also help us communicate complex information in a simple and easy-to-understand way.

What are some tips for creating a clear and effective graph for problem situations?

To create a clear and effective graph for problem situations, make sure to choose the appropriate type of graph for your data, label and title your graph clearly, use a consistent scale, and include a legend if needed. It is also important to keep the design simple and avoid clutter or unnecessary elements.