Thermodynamics (Callen) Question

In summary, the author is discussing how pressure changes when a gas is in a closed container and how work is done on the system. He provides an equation and an explanation for what it is. He also provides an explanation for "imperfect differentials."
Jacobpm64
So, I'm a mathematics major about to start my third year. I decided to pick up a physics minor (I've only had the first general physics (mechanics) so far).

Anyway, I'm taking thermodynamics in the fall, so I decided to try to get a heads up on it with some self-study.

If anyone has the Callen book (Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics), I'm on page 21-22.

Example 1 says:
A particular gas is enclosed in a cylinder with a moveable piston. It is observed that if the walls are adiabatic, a quasi-static increase in volume results in a decrease in pressure according to the equation
[tex]P^3 V^5 = [/tex] constant for Q = 0.

a) Find the quasi-static work done on the system and the net heat transfer to the system in each of the three processes (ADB, ACB, and the direct linear process AB) as shown in the figure. (I put the figure as an attachment).

When the author showed how to work out part a, I am confused at a certain part.

His solution says:
Given the equation of the "adiabat" What is this? I'm guessing the equation given in the question. (for which Q = 0 and [tex] \Delta U = W [/tex] ), we find
[tex] U_B - U_A = W_{AB} = -\int_{V_A}^{V_B}PdV = -P_{A}\int_{V_A}^{V_B}\left(\frac{V_A}{V}\right)^{\frac{5}{3}}dV [/tex]

I do not understand how you get from the 2nd to last step to the last step.

Can anyone explain this?

I also did not understand the little explanation about "imperfect differentials" on page 20. (I've had multivariable calculus, but we only spoke of differentials)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 473
Science news on Phys.org
Jacobpm64 said:
His solution says:
Given the equation of the "adiabat" What is this? I'm guessing the equation given in the question. (for which Q = 0 and [tex] \Delta U = W [/tex] ), we find
[tex] U_B - U_A = W_{AB} = -\int_{V_A}^{V_B}PdV = -P_{A}\int_{V_A}^{V_B}\left(\frac{V_A}{V}\right)^{\frac{5}{3}}dV [/tex]

I do not understand how you get from the 2nd to last step to the last step.

Can anyone explain this?
I don't have the book, but: Just write P as a function of V, realizing that the following holds along the adiabat (yes, that's described by the equation given earlier, which I repeat below):

[tex]P^3V^5 = P^3_A V^5_A[/tex]

By "imperfect differentials" Callen means that terms like dQ and dW are used in the differential form of the first law but nevertheless are not differentials of an actual state function, as dU is. Some people write [itex]\delta Q[/itex] and [itex]\delta W[/itex] to make this distinction (Callen uses a slash, which is typographically more difficult).

Thanks to both of you Doc Al and Mapes.

Doc Al: I guess I wasn't clear on seeing that you could just set the two equal to each other (The one with the subscripts and the one without). I suppose that is obvious though since it has to remain constant.

Everything is cleared up for now.

I'm sure I'll be back though.

Thanks both of you again.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformation from one form to another.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy in a system. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a pure crystalline substance at absolute zero temperature is zero.

3. How is thermodynamics applied in real life?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in the design and operation of engines, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, and power plants. It is also used in the study of weather and climate, as well as in the production of materials and chemicals.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in an object. Heat is measured in joules, while temperature is measured in degrees Celsius (or Kelvin).

5. What is the relationship between thermodynamics and entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. Therefore, thermodynamics is closely related to entropy as it helps us understand and predict the direction of energy flow and the tendency of systems to become more disordered.