Size and distance of different wavelengh photons?

• Thread starter crockman1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary: Beyond that, I'm sorry, but I can't help you with any further questions.In summary, this statement seems to be saying that all electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, will expand at the same rate in a vacuum, but will travel at different speeds in a medium.
crockman1
a few questions for my own research (not too sure how to ask):

maxwells equations predicted that the speed of light should be the same watever the speed of the source. it follows from this that if a pulse of light is emitted at a particular time at a particular point in space then as time goes on it will spread out as a sphere of light whose size and position are independent of the source. after one millionth of a second the light will have spread out to form a sphere with a radius of 300 meters; after two millionths of a second, the radius will be 600 meters.
-stephen hawking

this leads me to ask

(a)
1.would a group of photons of different wavelengths/energy levels travel at different speeds in relation to photons of different wavelengths/energy levels?
2.would a group of photons of different wavelengths/energy levels expand at the same rate in relation to photons of different wavelengths/energy levels?

(b)
1.would a group of photons of different wavelengths/energy levels travel at different speeds in mediums in relation to photons of different wavelengths/energy levels?
2.would a group of photons of different wavelengths/energy levels expand at the same rates in mediums in relation to photons of different wavelengths/energy levels?

and what would be the size (radius), speed, and distance of two or more groups of photons of different energy levels, at one millisecond. if not known, two frames of reference in referring to time would be appriciated.

thank you

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
What do you mean by expand?

James Leighe said:
What do you mean by expand?

Note; i have restated the question to resolve this statement, p.s. thank you james this was a valuable statement.

The questions don't make a lot of sense to me. You seem to ask if different wavelengths/frequencies of light move at different speeds even after apparently correctly noting earlier that the speed of light is constant.

Next, this "expand" thing, I don't understand that either. You seem to understand that light expands in a spherical pattern, at the speed of light, though...

russ_watters said:
The questions don't make a lot of sense to me. You seem to ask if different wavelengths/frequencies of light move at different speeds even after apparently correctly noting earlier that the speed of light is constant.

Next, this "expand" thing, I don't understand that either. You seem to understand that light expands in a spherical pattern, at the speed of light, though...

He could be talking about wave packets or the group velocities. The speed part would be the group velocity while the "expand" would be the spreading of a packet of information. Like the speed of a Gaussian pulse and then the spreading of a Gaussian pulse.

In any case, in vacuum, all photons move at the same speed. In a medium, it depends. If the medium is isotropic, loss-less, and non-dispersive, all photons will travel at the same speed. However, once the medium becomes lossy or dispersive, the group velocities will be come frequency dependent. This means that waves at different frequencies will travel at different speeds. It also means that if we sent in a Gaussian pulse (in the time domain, well frequency too since it so neatly Fourier transforms), then the pulse will widen as it travels through the medium because of dispersion. An example (ignore all the stuff about matter waves): http://www.physics.ucdavis.edu/Classes/NonclassicalPhysics/dispersion.html .

would for example a radio photon expand, and or travel at a different speed compared to a visible light photon? do all electromagnetic energy waves aka photons travel at the same speed and expand at the same rates reguardless of their frequency/ relative position in space?

Last edited:
In vacuum, all electromagnetic radiation travels at the same speed, regardless of wavelength.

How many oscillations (periods) are contained in a photon? This determines its "length".

jtbell said:
In vacuum, all electromagnetic radiation travels at the same speed, regardless of wavelength.

in a medium too?

it would lead me to conclude from this statement that all electromagnetic radiation also expands at the same rate? if a visible photon has a 600m radius at one millisecond then an infrared photon or a gamma photon will also have a 600m radius at one millisecond?

another question, how far does a photon travel in one millisecond in space?

thank you all for your support

Whoa there. I already stated in my own post that the speed is constant across frequencies in a vacuum and any isotropic, dispersion-less, lossless medium. Once you add in effects like anisotropy, dispersion, and/or loss then the speed will be frequency dependent.

HOWEVER, photons have no physical size. They do not expand, contract, or anything of that kind from what we know. They are simply energy quanta, discrete packets of energy.

ohhh hawking must have been referring to a sphere emitting light in all directions then.

i have more questions:

do photons effect photons? in other words if two or more photons travel parallel to each other in a vacuum would they repel each other over time? lasers spread over time. would this be attributed to an imperfection in the angle of the source of the laser?

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between the size of a photon and its wavelength?

The size of a photon is directly related to its wavelength. As the wavelength of a photon increases, its size also increases. This is because the wavelength of a photon is the distance between two consecutive peaks in its wave pattern, and the size of the photon is essentially the size of this wave pattern.

2. How does the distance between photons of different wavelengths affect their properties?

The distance between photons of different wavelengths does not affect their properties, as the properties of a photon are determined by its wavelength and not its distance from other photons. However, the distance between photons can affect the intensity of a light beam, as the number of photons per unit area decreases as the distance between them increases.

3. Can the size of a photon be measured?

No, the size of a photon cannot be measured directly as it is a fundamental particle with no physical size. However, its wavelength can be measured using specialized instruments, and from this the size of the photon can be inferred.

4. How does the size and distance of photons affect their energy?

The size and distance of photons have a direct effect on their energy. A photon with a shorter wavelength and thus smaller size has a higher energy, while a photon with a longer wavelength and larger size has a lower energy. The distance between photons also affects their energy, as a denser concentration of photons means a higher overall energy of the light beam.

5. How do different wavelengths of photons interact with matter?

The interaction between photons and matter varies depending on the wavelength of the photon. Shorter wavelength photons, such as gamma rays and X-rays, are more energetic and can penetrate matter more easily, while longer wavelength photons, such as radio waves, are less energetic and can be absorbed or reflected by matter. Different materials also have different properties when it comes to interacting with specific wavelengths of light.