Using pdf to find the Probability of a range

In summary, the problem asks to find the probability of an event using both the given cdf and the pdf. The cdf is the anti-derivative of the pdf, so the first part can be easily solved by plugging in the values of the range. However, for the second part, using the pdf to find the answer may lead to a probability greater than 1, which violates the laws around it. This could be because of the way the pdf was calculated, which involves differentiating the cdf and then integrating it again. Ultimately, the solution may just involve plugging in the values into an integral expression.
rhyno89

Homework Statement

For a given cdf: Fy(y) = 0 for y less than 0
= y^2 for the range 0 to 1
= 1 for all values greater than or equal to 1

the problem asks to find P(1/2 < Y < 3/4) first using the cdf and then using the pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so the first part of this i was able to do easily. Since its giving the cdf you just have to plug in the two values of the range and the end result is 5/16

Using the pdf to find the answer is where i ran into trouble

I kno that the relationship b/w the cdf and the pdf is that the cdf is the anti derivative of the pdf so i began by differentiating the values of Y over the range.

This of course gave me 0, 2y and 0 for the different ranges.

Because of this however, the values for either of the two ranges give me a probability greater than 1 and that alone violates the laws around it so that doesn't work even if the answer would have matched up, which it doesn't anyway. So I am guessing the problem is how I calculated the pdf...any tips?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't it just be

[tex]\int_\frac{1}{2} ^\frac{3}{4} 2y dy [/tex]

I don't think this gives an answer greater than one.

i thought i had to do something like that since it was an interval and not merely a finite set of numbers. This kinda seems like a pointless excercise since this would have me differentiating the cdf to get the pdf just to re integrate it and return it to the cdf plugging in the same numbers that I had to do for part a.
I was also looking through the book and I don't see any other way of getting it so i think ill run with this...thanks for the quick response

FAQ: Using pdf to find the Probability of a range

1. What is a PDF (Probability Density Function)?

A PDF is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a continuous random variable falling within a certain range of values. It is often used in statistics and data analysis to calculate the probability of a specific outcome occurring.

2. How is a PDF different from a probability distribution?

A probability distribution is a function that describes the probabilities of all the possible outcomes of a random variable. A PDF, on the other hand, is a specific type of probability distribution that is used for continuous random variables.

3. How do you use a PDF to find the probability of a range?

To find the probability of a range using a PDF, you need to integrate the PDF function over that range. This will give you the area under the curve, which represents the probability of the random variable falling within that range.

4. Can a PDF be used for discrete random variables?

No, a PDF is only applicable for continuous random variables. For discrete random variables, a probability mass function (PMF) is used to calculate the probability of specific outcomes.

5. How can a PDF be used in real-world applications?

A PDF can be used in various fields such as finance, engineering, and economics to analyze and make predictions based on continuous random variables. It is also used in statistical modeling and hypothesis testing to make data-driven decisions.

Back