Probability question, Very hard

In summary, the probability of being the last person to hold the ball as the game progresses is 1 as long as there is no time/pass limit.
I'll run 4 more when I get some time (I'm at work!). Do you have Excel? If so, I can post it in spreadsheet form.

Physics news on Phys.org
zgozvrm said:
I'll run 4 more when I get some time (I'm at work!). Do you have Excel? If so, I can post it in spreadsheet form.

OK. Thanks. BTW I meant 11 players after excluding the originator.

Here's the complete data ...

(Note that the numbered columns represent how many wins each player has per successive 100,000 games played. That is, each column 1, 2, 3 ... 10 represents 100,000 games each, the "Total" column is the sum of the previous 10 columns; all 1,000,000 games)

Attachments

• Results.pdf
    8.7 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
It's almost as if you guys still don't trust my proof =D haha

Aradesh's other problem is really cool. The reason I liked it, is that if you were asked to solve it before seeing this problem, it would have took a pretty amazing leap of insight to think of solving this one first. I don't think that I'd have managed to solve it, at least not in a day. But when you've solved the circular problem, you can show that the probability of it falling off the n end is i/(n+1) if the game starts at the i'th player. It's a pretty cool result!

Jamma said:
It's almost as if you guys still don't trust my proof =D haha

Yes. I couldn't let go of this problem. Actually once I considered that it had the Markov property:

[tex]P(q_i|q_{i-1},..,q_1)=P(q_i|q_{i-1})[/tex] for [tex] i>1[/tex]

it should have been clear to me that the whole problem could have been broken down to just two players plus the originator. You were correct all along; but, of course, you are a mathematician.

Last edited:
zgozvrm said:
Here's the complete data ...

(Note that the numbered columns represent how many wins each player has per successive 100,000 games played. That is, each column 1, 2, 3 ... 10 represents 100,000 games each, the "Total" column is the sum of the previous 10 columns; all 1,000,000 games)

Thanks zgozvrm. I don't doubt the proof, but I'm curious about the actual data variations

SW VandeCarr said:
Thanks zgozvrm. I don't doubt the proof...
I didn't give a proof; I merely presented some data.

SW VandeCarr said:
...I'm curious about the actual data variations
What are you curious about?

zgozvrm said:
I didn't give a proof; I merely presented some data.

I was referring to Jamma's previous post about a proof which I took to be in reference to your simulation. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

What are you curious about?

I was interested in the aggregate percentage of wins for the 11 positions across all four runs or as large a sample as you may have in order to to look at convergence. All I have with me is my laptop. Since you posted your simulation results, I didn't think you'd mind sharing this.

Not sure what you mean by "aggregate percentage of wins..." exactly.

zgozvrm said:
Not sure what you mean by "aggregate percentage of wins..." exactly.

Nevermind. Thanks for posting the PDF and some of your results.

Hmm, this seems wrapped up. I wonder if there are more difficult versions, with players placed in a lattice around a sphere for example, or on a square table and the one who drops it off loses =D

Actually, let's not go there...