Wishing to learn more geometry

• Thread starter khemix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, if you did plane / euclidean geometry in high school, what is next? If you enjoyed plane geometry, you may want to try some of the classical geometry topics that are not covered in high school. These can include things like Menelaus and Ceva theorem, vector algebra, and solid geometry. Beyond this, there is a lot of opportunity to explore different areas of geometry, depending on your interests.
khemix
if you did plane / euclidean geometry in high school, what is next?

ive looked into non-euclidean geometry, but it seems to use weird algebra i have never seen. is the classical geometry of constructions finished as of now, and will all geometry from now on be very algebraic?

there is no courses in geometry in my school and there is little information about it. so i would like to know to learn.

Physics news on Phys.org
What parts of geometry do you like?

As far as I know, there's no obvious "step up" from high school geometry. There are many other subjects that are heavily founded in geometry, so it might help to know what you really enjoyed about it.

i don't know what parts i like, i only did plane geometry, and i really enjoyed it - the different properties of triangles and stuff was very interesting.

im not interested in differential geoemtry or topology and the like at the moment, i just want to continue doing the classical geometries (ie. things that don't use calculus). i really don't know what is studied beyond plane geometry, which is why I am not even sure what it is i am looking for. i heard its natural to go to non-euclidean geometry after plane geometry, so my guess is that is what is next.

How much have you learned in classical plane geometry? Have you done things like Menelaus and Ceva theorem? There are a lot of pretty stuffs in geometry that are not covered in high school syllabus, but they appear frequently in mathematical olympiads.

You may want to read, if you have not already, Coxeter's book ""w.amazon.com/Geometry-Revisited-Mathematical-Association-Textbooks/dp/0883856190"[/URL]"

If you know, or don't mind to learn, some complex numbers, you can do many interesting geometry problems using complex numbers. I recommend [URL]https://www.amazon.com/dp/0883855100/?tag=pfamazon01-20[/URL].

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:

1. What is geometry?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shapes, sizes, positions, and angles of objects in space. It is also concerned with the properties and relationships of these shapes and how they can be measured and manipulated.

2. Why is geometry important to learn?

Geometry is an essential tool for understanding and analyzing the world around us. It is used in many fields, such as architecture, engineering, computer graphics, and physics. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What are the basic concepts of geometry?

The basic concepts of geometry include points, lines, angles, and shapes. Points are represented by a dot and have no size or dimension. Lines are made up of an infinite number of points and have length but no width or depth. Angles are formed by two intersecting lines, and shapes are made up of lines and angles.

4. How can I improve my understanding of geometry?

To improve your understanding of geometry, it is important to practice regularly and approach problems with a logical and analytical mindset. You can also use visual aids, such as diagrams and models, to help grasp complex concepts. Seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.

5. What are some real-world applications of geometry?

Geometry has countless real-world applications, such as designing buildings and structures, creating computer graphics and animations, surveying land, and understanding the movement of planets and stars. It is also used in everyday tasks, such as measuring distances, calculating areas and volumes, and determining angles and directions.