Intersect From Two Logarithmic Functions

In summary, the conversation revolves around the difficulty of Pure Math 30, specifically with the concept of logarithms. The individual is seeking help in understanding how to find the point of intersection between two logarithmic equations. Through a step-by-step explanation, the individual is able to understand the solution and is grateful for the assistance. They also mention that their difficulty may be due to trying to learn too many things at once.
JDK
It's funny because I've never had any problems with Math until I got to Pure Math 30. Now I feel like an idiot and have incredible urges to scream at my book as if it were listening. Please help me out here.

The graphs of y=log(base3)(x-1) +1 and y=log(base3)(2x +1) intersect at a point. An equation that could be used to find this point of intersections is...

Multiple Choice follows the Q. But, that's not what matters. I need some help on how to figure such a question out. I wish I could show some of my work to prove I've tried, but that's the thing - I'm blank right now. I don't know where to begin. I'd imagine one would combine the equations first like this...

y = log(base3)(x-1) + log(base3)(2x +1)

...and then work from there. Erghhh... take deep breaths... that's what I keep telling myself...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since we're talking about base 3, I won't write it.

You want to find x where

log(x-1) + 1=log(2x+1)

first 1=log(3). Using sum of logs=log of product, we get

log(3x-3)=log(2x+1)

3x-3=2x+1

x=4

The graphs of y=log(base3)(x-1) +1 and y=log(base3)(2x +1) intersect at a point. An equation that could be used to find this point of intersections is...

Let's move a step at a time.

You are looking for the coordinates for the point of intersection. We should give it a name to make it easier to refer to it; let's call it P. We are looking for its coordinates, so let's select variables to represent it's coordinates; how about a and b.

(I'm using a and b instead of x and y to illuminate the fact that these are conceptually different than the x and y given in the problem)

So we're looking for the coordinates of P, which are [itex](a, b)[/itex].

We know P lies on the graph of [itex]y = \log_3 (x-1) + 1[/itex]. Thus, its coordinates must satisfy the equation [itex]b = \log_3 (a-1) + 1[/itex].

We also know P lies on the graph of [itex]y = \log_3 (2x+1)[/itex]. Thus, its coordinates must satisfy the equation [itex]b = \log_3 (2a+1)[/itex].

So, we have this system of equations we wish to solve:

[tex]
\begin{align}
b &= \log_3 (a-1) + 1 \\
b &= \log_3 (2a+1)
\end{align}
[/tex]

A common step to solve a system of equations is to solve one equation for one variable, and substitute the result in another equation. Here, both equations come pre-solved for b! So we take the solution from (1) and substitute into (2) to get

[tex]\log_3 (a-1) + 1 = \log_3 (2a+1)[/tex]

Which is the point where mathman started.

Last edited:
Great! I get it. Something in my brain just wasn't connecting properly (hasn't been for a while for some reason). The piece I was missing was that the two equations equal each other for the fact that they both have one single pair of values which satisfy one another and vice versa. Phew. Glad you guys helped out. The life of my textbook has been saved from my rage. Thanks!

I think I'm cramming to much in my head at once. I'm currently learning CSS, Javascript and Visual Basic and all my mathematical/logical decision making is getting mixed up. Maybe if I drop a language for a while I can focus better on what counts right now.

What is an "Intersect From Two Logarithmic Functions"?

Intersect From Two Logarithmic Functions refers to the point at which two logarithmic functions intersect on a graph. It is the solution to the system of equations formed by the two logarithmic functions.

How do you find the intersect of two logarithmic functions?

To find the intersect of two logarithmic functions, set the two equations equal to each other and solve for the variable. This will give you the x-coordinate of the intersect. Plug this value into one of the equations to find the y-coordinate.

What is the significance of the intersect in logarithmic functions?

The intersect of two logarithmic functions is important because it represents the point where the two functions have the same output. This can be useful in solving real-world problems involving exponential growth and decay.

Can two logarithmic functions intersect more than once?

Yes, two logarithmic functions can intersect more than once. This occurs when the two functions have multiple solutions to the system of equations formed by setting them equal to each other.

What is the relationship between the slope of the logarithmic functions and their intersect?

The slope of the logarithmic functions at their intersect is equal to each other. This can be seen by taking the derivative of both functions and setting them equal to each other.