Internship Help for Diagnosing Breast Cancer with Elastography

• Thread starter jowen6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internship
In summary, the company is working on new methods for diagnosing breast cancer. They are using elastography to do this. They are also emphasizing computer programming in c# and matlab. The intern wants to learn more so they can get the most out of the internship. The intern suggests tutorials or books on general knowledge about what is going on.
jowen6
I am working at a company over the summer as an intern and they are working on new methods for diagnosing breast cancer. They are trying to help doctors to distinguish more accurately between benign and malignant tumors and avoid the need for more invasive procedures such as biopsy. They are using elastography to do this. I want to learn more about what is going on so that I can get the most out of the internship, but I’m not really sure what to study. Beamforming is involved as well, there is a heavy emphasis on computer programming, primarily in c # and matlab. I want to work on some tutorials for matlab, but there are a lot out there and I need a bit more direction. Does anyone have any ideas what sort of tutorials would be best for this area in matlab? Also, I would like to pick up some more general knowledge on what’s going on, but I am unsure of what sort of textbooks to even open.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've found the MATLAB "help" files to be of tremendous assistance in learning how to use it. Generally, you'll want to start leaning about manipulating image sets. Learn how to import and read files using the DICOM standard. Learn how to perform basic matrix operations and how to filter images - convolution and deconvolution.

It sounds like you've found yourself a great job for the summer. Best of luck with it.

Indeed that sounds like a wonderful job, should be rewarding to know your work is potentially helping folks.

this may sound obvious but as with any programming language, C, C++, java, python,
or C# and Matlab, the only real way to learn is by doing and practice.

You get better over time and it soon becomes less clunky and easy to read/understand your code. the tutorials may seem daunting at first however just dive in and press onwards. Send your advisers an email and ask what specifically you will e doing in Matlab and or C#. hey should be eager to provide you with some intro material so you perform better nce the job begins.

FAQ: Internship Help for Diagnosing Breast Cancer with Elastography

1. What is elastography and how is it used to diagnose breast cancer?

Elastography is a medical imaging technique that measures tissue stiffness and elasticity. It is used in conjunction with traditional ultrasound imaging to help diagnose breast cancer by providing additional information about the tissue structure and characteristics.

2. What are the benefits of using elastography in diagnosing breast cancer?

Elastography has been shown to improve the accuracy of breast cancer diagnosis by providing more detailed information about the tissue compared to traditional ultrasound imaging alone. It also has the potential to reduce the number of unnecessary biopsies, which can be invasive and costly.

3. How does an internship in this field help with the development and improvement of elastography for breast cancer diagnosis?

An internship in this field allows for hands-on experience with the technology and techniques used in elastography for breast cancer diagnosis. It also provides an opportunity to work with experienced researchers and clinicians to develop and improve upon current methods.

4. What skills and qualifications are needed for an internship in this field?

An internship in this field typically requires a background in medical imaging, such as a degree in biomedical engineering or a related field. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as experience with imaging software and equipment, are also important.

5. What career opportunities are available for those who specialize in diagnosing breast cancer with elastography?

There are various career opportunities for individuals who specialize in diagnosing breast cancer with elastography, including roles in research and development, clinical application and training, and product marketing and sales. There is also potential for advancement and specialization within the field.