Does a Conductor's Diameter Affect Its Magnetic Field Strength?

In summary, for two isolated conductors with diameters 20mm and 50mm, both carrying a current of 100A, the maximum magnetic field will be at the surface of the 20mm conductor. This is due to the field scaling as 1/a outside the conductor and the presence of Eddy currents in AC currents.
cataldo
I have two conductors in no magnetic material such as copper. One has diameter 20mm and other has diameter 50mm and both through by same current about 100A. Where do i have the maxi magnetic field on surface of conductor...I tinks on conductor with diameter 20mm..Is exactly ?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the same current, the magnetic field at the surface is proportional to 1/R.

Tanks cleam.. Excuse me for the stupid question but i had one discussion with my friend which sayed that the magnetic field at the surface was higher on conductor with diemater 50mm ...
Bye

If the two conductors are isolated from one another, the higher field is at the surface of the 20 mm conductor. The B field outside an infinite straight conductor of radius R is

B = 2 x 10-7 I/a tesla (a>R)

where a is the distance from the center of the conductor. The field inside the wire is

B = 2 x 10-7 r I/R2 tesla

where r is a point inside a conductor of radius R (r<=R)

So the field scales as r inside the conductor, and 1/a outside. If the current is an AC current, Eddy currents force the currents toward the surface of the conductor.

FAQ: Does a Conductor's Diameter Affect Its Magnetic Field Strength?

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an area of space around a magnet or electric current where magnetic forces can be detected. It is represented by magnetic field lines, which show the direction and strength of the magnetic force.

How is a magnetic field created in a conductor?

A magnetic field is created in a conductor when an electric current flows through it. As the electrons move through the conductor, they create a circular magnetic field around the wire.

What is the relationship between the strength of the magnetic field and the electric current in a conductor?

The strength of the magnetic field in a conductor is directly proportional to the electric current flowing through it. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic field also becomes stronger.

Can a magnetic field in a conductor be changed?

Yes, a magnetic field in a conductor can be changed by altering the amount of electric current flowing through it or by changing the physical properties of the conductor, such as its shape or material.

What are some applications of magnetic fields in conductors?

Magnetic fields in conductors have many practical applications in our daily lives. They are used in electric motors, generators, transformers, and many other electrical devices. They are also used in medical imaging technology such as MRI machines and in particle accelerators for scientific research.

Back