Epsilon delta to prove continuity

In summary, The conversation is about using the epsilon-delta definition of continuity to prove the continuity of a function at a specific point. The conversation includes a breakdown of the proof and a request for an explanation of the epsilon-delta concept. Resources for understanding epsilon-delta proofs are also provided.
james.farrow
I have an example bit I can't quite follow it...?

Use epsilon -delta definition of continuity to prove f(x) = 3x^2 - x is continuous at x=2

Ep > 0 and delta > 0 in terms of Ep

f(x) -f(2) = 3x^2 - x -(3*2^2 -2)

f(x) - f(2) = 3x^2 -x - 10
f(x) - f(2) = (3x + 5)(x - 2)

So far so good - but now can someone explain what happens please...!

James

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, we may, for example, rewrite 3x+5 as 3(x-2)+11.

Now, set d=x-2

We then have:
|f(x)-f(2)|=|(3d+11)d|<=3|d|^2+11|d|<=14|d|, if |d| is tiny enough, specifically, when |d|<1 (i.e, when x is between 1 and 3)

Now, can you make |d| so small that given any e, 14|d| will be smaller than e?

Hi James! :smile:

(have a delta: δ and an epsilon: ε and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
james.farrow said:
Use epsilon -delta definition of continuity to prove f(x) = 3x^2 - x is continuous at x=2

Ep > 0 and delta > 0 in terms of Ep

f(x) -f(2) = 3x^2 - x -(3*2^2 -2)

You're probably wondering "wherever does δ come into it?? :confused:"

You needed to start with "f(2 + δ) -f(2) = …" :wink:

Thanks for the replies lads - I appreciate it! What I need is an explanantion of the whole epsilon delta thing really from start to finish.

I don't understand it to be honest and I need to so I can apply it to other functions etc

Many thanks

James

james.farrow said:
Thanks for the replies lads - I appreciate it! What I need is an explanantion of the whole epsilon delta thing really from start to finish.

I don't understand it to be honest and I need to so I can apply it to other functions etc

Many thanks

James

Start with the first thing you don't understand.

1. What is the epsilon delta definition of continuity?

The epsilon delta definition of continuity is a mathematical concept that defines a function as continuous at a point if for any small positive value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding positive value of delta such that if the distance between the input and the point is within delta, then the distance between the output and the function at that point is within epsilon.

2. How is the epsilon delta definition used to prove continuity?

The epsilon delta definition is used in a two-part proof to show that a function is continuous at a specific point. The first part involves choosing a value of epsilon and finding a corresponding delta that satisfies the definition. The second part involves showing that the function satisfies the definition for all values within delta of the chosen point.

3. What are the key components of an epsilon delta proof?

The key components of an epsilon delta proof are the choice of epsilon and the corresponding delta, and the use of the triangle inequality to show that the output of the function is within epsilon of the function at the chosen point.

4. Can the epsilon delta definition be used to prove discontinuity?

Yes, the epsilon delta definition can be used to prove discontinuity. If it can be shown that for a particular point, there does not exist a delta that satisfies the definition for any epsilon, then the function is discontinuous at that point.

5. Are there other methods for proving continuity besides the epsilon delta definition?

Yes, there are other methods for proving continuity, such as the sequential criterion and the intermediate value theorem. However, the epsilon delta definition is often considered the most rigorous and widely used method for proving continuity.