Space propulsion lecture questions.

In summary, the guest speaker talked about the possibilities of space propulsion, and mentioned fusion. He said that we haven't been able to get a net gain in fusion yet, but that it is important to look at Q (power out)/(power in) and Q (energy out)/(energy in). He also mentioned that for spacecraft propulsion, one wants as high a Q as possible.
theCandyman
Today I attended a lecture by guest speaker Dr. Terry Kammash. He was speaking about the possibilities of space propulsion, and fusion was mentioned. As fusion is one of the subjects that interestes me the most, I was eager to hear about it. However, he seemed to treat fusion as though we are capable of net gain and after the seminar I asked him why not use the energy used to create the conditions for fusion to power the rocket. I am a bit confused, but I think he said something along the lines of "terrestrial conditions varying from space" and mentioned a factor called Q. This Q is slightly greater than one for space reactors, but if fusion was to be considered a viable power source it has to be 20 or 30 times greater.

Can science (or has it already) achieve net gain from fusion in space? What is this Q referring to exactly?

Engineering news on Phys.org
theCandyman said:
Can science (or has it already) achieve net gain from fusion in space? What is this Q referring to exactly?

Candyman,

No - we have not yet been able to get a net gain in fusion - neither on Earth
nor in space. The conditions required for fusion do not depend on location,
nor the strength of the gravitational field.

I'm not sure why Dr. Terry Kammash, Professor Emeritus of Nuclear
Engineering at the University of Michigan; would leave you with a false
impression.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

On Earth, one does not have to worry about the 'mass' of a fusion reactor, although cost is certainly an important issue. Both magnetic confinement and inertial confinement systems require massive structures to support the fusion process.

In space, every gram counts, because that is mass that has to be accelerated by the thrust.

IIRC, at the moment, we have not achieved a 'sustained' scientific breakeven, Q=1.0, or at least not for a prolonged period. One not only has to look at Q = (power out)/(power in), but also Q = (energy out)/(energy in), where energy is power integrated over time.

See - http://www.fusion-eur.org/fusion_cd/jet.htm

For spacecraft propulsion, one would like as high a Q as possible, and most likely one would want an aneutronic reaction based system, or at least a reaction with minimal neutron production.

Remember, fusion energy, like fission energy, is simply stored energy. The objective is to develop a system that realizes that energy in a 'useful' manner.

Related to Space propulsion lecture questions.

1. How does space propulsion work?

Space propulsion is the process of using energy to propel a spacecraft through space. This is typically achieved through the use of rockets, which accelerate the spacecraft by expelling propellant out of the back of the rocket at high speeds. This reaction creates an equal and opposite force, pushing the spacecraft forward.

2. What types of space propulsion are currently being used?

There are several types of space propulsion systems currently being used, including chemical rockets, electric propulsion, and solar sails. Chemical rockets use chemical reactions to generate thrust, while electric propulsion uses electricity to accelerate ions or plasma. Solar sails use the pressure of sunlight to propel the spacecraft forward.

3. How do scientists determine the most efficient type of space propulsion for a mission?

Determining the most efficient type of space propulsion for a mission involves considering various factors such as the distance and speed required for the mission, the weight and size constraints of the spacecraft, and the availability of resources. Scientists also conduct extensive research and testing to compare the efficiency and effectiveness of different propulsion systems.

4. Can space propulsion be used to travel to other planets?

Yes, space propulsion can be used to travel to other planets. However, the type of propulsion system needed will vary depending on the distance and speed required for the mission. For example, chemical rockets are typically used for shorter distances within our solar system, while electric propulsion may be more suitable for longer interplanetary journeys.

5. Are there any new developments in space propulsion technology?

Yes, there are constantly new developments and advancements being made in space propulsion technology. Some current areas of research include nuclear propulsion, which uses nuclear reactions to generate thrust, and fusion propulsion, which seeks to use nuclear fusion reactions for propulsion. These technologies have the potential to greatly improve space travel in the future.