Question about magnetizing field and recoil permeability

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary components and calculations for producing a 44kOe magnetizing field in a radial solenoid. The relative permeability, length of the solenoid, number of turns, and average loop area are given, and the necessary current is calculated to be approximately 794.5902 A. The conversation also mentions the existence of a hollow permanent magnet with opposite poles on its inner and outer surfaces, such as in the DC motor of a tape recorder.
trini
Hey everyone, I'm trying to work out the current I would require to produce a 44kOe magnetizing field in a radial solenoid. From my understanding, in order to do this I need the relative permeability of my material, the inductance of my coil, as well as the number of turns in the coil and it's length.(I'm not sure if i am supposed to use the recoil permeability here but it seems to me to be the correct option)

Now:
μrec = 1.22
relative permeability, Κm = μrec0
length of solenoid,l = 0.166116 m
turns, N = 600
Average loop area, A = 0.03246941 m2
H = 44000 G = 3, 501, 409 Am-1

integral H.dl = μ0.Κ(Ipen + dΦ/dt) [recall: dΦ/dt = -ε0LI][Ipen = (N / l) I]
3, 501, 409 = (μ0)(μrec0){(N/l)I - Aε0(N2/l)I}
3, 501, 409 = μrecI {(N/l) - Aε0(N2/l)}
3, 501, 409 = (1.22) I {(600/0.166116) - (0.03246941)(8.85418782 × 10-12)(6002/0.166116)}
3, 501, 409 = 4406.559271 I
I = 794.5902 AEDIT: I just realized i forgot to multiply the inductance by ε0! This current seems more correct, could someone please verify though?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't want to start a new topic, but i also have another question for you guys, is there any hollow permanent magnet(not necessarily closed, more like a hollow pipe) which exists such that the inner surface is one pole and the outer surface is the opposite pole?

trini said:
I didn't want to start a new topic, but i also have another question for you guys, is there any hollow permanent magnet(not necessarily closed, more like a hollow pipe) which exists such that the inner surface is one pole and the outer surface is the opposite pole?
Yes. Inside the DC motor of tape recorder, armature is housed in the hollow permanent magnet.

1. What is a magnetizing field?

A magnetizing field is a magnetic field that is created when an external magnetic field is applied to a material. It is also known as the applied field or driving field.

2. What is recoil permeability?

Recoil permeability is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized or demagnetized. It is a property of a material that describes how it responds to changes in the magnetizing field.

3. How is recoil permeability different from initial permeability?

Initial permeability is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized when no external magnetic field is present. It is a property of a material that describes its inherent magnetic properties. Recoil permeability, on the other hand, is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized or demagnetized when an external magnetic field is applied. It takes into account both the intrinsic magnetic properties of the material and the effects of the applied magnetic field.

4. How is recoil permeability measured?

Recoil permeability is typically measured experimentally by applying a magnetic field to a material and then measuring the resulting magnetic flux density. The ratio of the magnetic flux density to the applied magnetic field is the recoil permeability. It is usually expressed in units of Henrys per meter (H/m).

5. Why is recoil permeability important in magnetizing applications?

Recoil permeability is important in magnetizing applications because it determines how easily a material can be magnetized or demagnetized. Materials with high recoil permeability are easier to magnetize, making them useful in applications such as electromagnets and magnetic storage devices. Materials with low recoil permeability are more difficult to magnetize, but they also have more stable and long-lasting magnetization, making them useful in permanent magnet applications.