Solving Limits of Sums: Ideas Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses how to approach a problem involving a limit and a sum. The participants come to the conclusion that the sum diverges to infinity. They also discuss how the integral test verifies this result and provide a brief explanation for why the sum is greater than or equal to (N + 1)/e.
Apteronotus
I'm stuck on how to approach the following problem.

[tex]
lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \sum_{j=0} ^x e^{-j/x}
[/tex]

Does anyone have any ideas?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It looks to me that the jth term -> 1 for any j, which makes the sum divergent to ∞.

Looks like infinity to me. Expanding your sum gives
[tex]e^0 + e^{-1/N} +e^{-2/N} + ... + e^{-N/N} [/tex]
In this expression there are N + 1 terms, the smallest of which is 1/e.

So,
[tex]\sum_{i = 0}^N e^{-i/N} \geq (N + 1)(1/e)[/tex]

As N gets larger, so does (N + 1)/e.

Thanks you both for your replies. You are right, the expression does converge, as the integral test seems to varify.

Mark, I have one quick question. Could you explain why
[tex]
\sum_{i = 0}^N e^{-i/N} \geq (N + 1)(1/e)
[/tex]

Is this a general statement or does it only apply in this case.

Thank you again.

Apteronotus said:
Thanks you both for your replies. You are right, the expression does converge, as the integral test seems to varify.
No, what mathman and I are saying is that the expression diverges.
Apteronotus said:
Mark, I have one quick question. Could you explain why
[tex]
\sum_{i = 0}^N e^{-i/N} \geq (N + 1)(1/e)
[/tex]

Is this a general statement or does it only apply in this case.
This statement applies to your sum. For each value of N, there are N + 1 terms being added. The smallest of these terms is 1/e, so we know that the sum has to be at least (N + 1) times 1/e, which is (N + 1)/e.

Yes, I meant to say diverges.
Thanks again for the thorough explanation.

1. What is the definition of a limit of a sum?

The limit of a sum is a mathematical concept that represents the value that a sum approaches as its individual terms get closer and closer to a certain value. It is denoted by the symbol lim and is used to determine the behavior of a function as its input values approach a certain value.

2. How do I solve a limit of a sum?

To solve a limit of a sum, you can use various techniques such as substitution, factoring, and algebraic manipulation. It is important to identify the type of limit (finite, infinite, one-sided) and apply the appropriate rules and theorems to simplify the expression and evaluate the limit.

3. What are some common strategies for solving limits of sums?

Some common strategies for solving limits of sums include using the limit laws, manipulating the sum to a form that can be directly evaluated, using L'Hospital's rule, and applying properties of limits such as squeeze theorem and limit comparison test.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve limits of sums?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve limits of sums, but it is important to note that not all calculators have the capability to handle more complex limits. It is recommended to use a graphing calculator or an online limit calculator for more accurate and efficient results.

5. What are some real-life applications of limits of sums?

Limits of sums have various real-life applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, in physics, limits of sums can be used to determine the velocity of an object at a specific time by taking the limit of the average velocity as the time interval approaches zero. In economics, limits of sums can be used to calculate the total cost or profit of a company as it approaches a certain production level. In engineering, limits of sums can help in optimizing the performance of a system by finding the maximum or minimum values of a function.