Determining the Temperature at which breath condenses

By comparing this with the calculated value, you can "prove" the temperature, humidity, and air pressure required for breath to turn into fog.
Lazy
Hey PF, just a question out of my own curiosity that I've been wondering about.

What type of equations/formulas/ and other things would I need to know to determine at what temperature breath [water vapour from our mouths/lungs] condenses in air ?

I'm guessing something to do with specific heat values, partial pressure, humidity, and other things.

Borek suggested Clausius–Clapeyron, but I have no idea how to apply it.

What would it take for me to somehow "prove" the temperature/ humidity/ air pressure that is required for breath to turn into fog ?

Thanks and discuss away.

Science news on Phys.org
To calculate the temperature at which breath will condense in air, you will need to take into account the specific heat values, partial pressures, humidity, and other factors. The most commonly used equation to calculate this is the Clausius–Clapeyron equation. This equation takes into account the pressure, temperature, and vapor pressure of water vapor at different temperatures. With this equation, you can calculate the temperature at which breath will condense in air for a given set of conditions. You can also experimentally measure the temperature at which breath condenses by measuring the temperature of the air and the relative humidity.

Related to Determining the Temperature at which breath condenses

1. What is breath condensation?

Breath condensation refers to the process where water vapor in our breath turns into liquid droplets when it comes into contact with a cooler surface, such as a mirror or window.

2. How is the temperature at which breath condenses determined?

The temperature at which breath condenses is determined by the dew point temperature, which is the temperature at which the air is saturated and unable to hold any more water vapor. When the air reaches this temperature, the water vapor in our breath condenses into liquid droplets.

3. What factors can affect the temperature at which breath condenses?

The temperature at which breath condenses can be affected by several factors, including the temperature and humidity of the surrounding air, the temperature of the surface where the breath comes into contact, and the amount of water vapor in our breath.

4. How does the temperature at which breath condenses change with altitude?

The temperature at which breath condenses decreases with increasing altitude. This is because as we go higher, the air becomes colder and can hold less water vapor, leading to an increase in relative humidity and a lower dew point temperature.

5. Why is determining the temperature at which breath condenses important?

Determining the temperature at which breath condenses can help us understand and predict weather patterns, as well as monitor humidity levels in indoor environments. It can also have practical applications, such as in the design of buildings and HVAC systems to prevent condensation and mold growth.