Is there a method for solving ODEs with functions H(x,y) and G(x,y)?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation discusses polynomials of derivatives and whether there are any methods for solving them. It is mentioned that there are clean formulas for solving polynomials up to degree 4, but above that, it becomes impossible. The conversation also introduces the idea of adding functions H(x,y) and G(x,y) to the polynomial, which may make solving the equation more complicated. However, it is noted that this can be reduced to solving a normal polynomial equation followed by an equation in the form of dy/dx=f(x,y). Overall, the usefulness of this formula is questioned.
flyingpig
Where n is a natural number, so we get polynomials of derivatives like

[tex]\left (\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x} \right )^n + \left (\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x} \right )^{n-1} + \left (\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x} \right )^{n-3}... = 0[/tex]

Has some ancient greek guy managed to give a name and techniques on how to solve this?

Do ODEs become nearly impossible if I throw in a g(x,y) or h(x,y) in there? That is

[tex]H(x,y)\left (\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x} \right )^n + G(x,y)\left (\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x} \right )^{n-1} + \left (\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x} \right )^{n-3}... = 0[/tex]

I imagine it would because we don't even have a "clean" formula for solving cubics.

Is there a method if it was quadratic?

How bad do the G(x,y) and H(x,y) messes things?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Generally speaking, "ancient Greek guys" have given no names at all to things involving derivatives, because derivatives were not invented until around 1700. And as for more modern mathematicians, things tend to get named only if they are useful. I can see nothing useful about that formula.

I imagine it would because we don't even have a "clean" formula for solving cubics.

Yes we do. We have clean formulas for polynomials up to degree 4 (above which a "clean" formula is impossible).

Number Nine said:
Yes we do. We have clean formulas for polynomials up to degree 4 (above which a "clean" formula is impossible).

I've seen the formula, it's big and unuseful...

HallsofIvy said:
Generally speaking, "ancient Greek guys" have given no names at all to things involving derivatives, because derivatives were not invented until around 1700. And as for more modern mathematicians, things tend to get named only if they are useful. I can see nothing useful about that formula.

Well that's not right, I am sure there are ODEs that have that form.

flyingpig said:
Well that's not right, I am sure there are ODEs that have that form.

Of course there are, at least you have just invented it :p
Although that doesn't mean they are useful.

Actually, the first one - without functions H,G...- doen't really need any special care.
dy/dx are just numbers, so you need just to solve equation x^n + x^{n-1} + ... = 0 .
If there are some real solutions x=s, you just pick one and the solution to the ODE is the function dy/dx=s.

The one with functions H,G.. probably should have non-trivial solutions in some cases (on of the conditions is probably that H,G... have to be continuos), but again, solving it amounts to solving normal polynomial equation first and then solving equation of kind dy/dx=f(x,y), where f(x,y) is solution to the polynomial equation. (If I am not wrong:)

What ODE are these called?

The ODEs in question are called Ordinary Differential Equations.

What is the difference between an ODE and a PDE?

An ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) involves derivatives with respect to a single independent variable, while a PDE (Partial Differential Equation) involves derivatives with respect to multiple independent variables.

What are some real-world applications of ODEs?

ODEs are used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, economics, and biology. Some examples of real-world applications include modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, and analyzing chemical reactions.

What methods are used to solve ODEs?

There are several methods for solving ODEs, including analytical methods such as separation of variables and variation of parameters, and numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods.

Are all ODEs solvable?

No, not all ODEs have explicit solutions. Some ODEs can only be solved numerically, and some have no solution at all. The solvability of an ODE depends on its form and initial/boundary conditions.