Calling Math & Physics Runners: Take a Look at the SM Model!

In summary, there is a search for individuals with a background in math or physics who are also runners and interested in collaborating on using a mathematical model called the Spring Mass (SM) Model to understand their own running performance. The model treats the runner as a single mass bouncing on a pair of spring-like legs and has been verified in several papers. If interested, please contact Ted Andresen at tjacmc@aol.com. Additionally, there is a request to use a gait cycle picture for a thesis in physiotherapy, and the individual is asking for it to be sent to them.
tedjan
Looking for math/physics people interested in the running biomechanics

Are there any other math/physics/engineering runners out there who are interested in collaborating on an effort to understand their own running performance by using a mathematical model known as the Spring Mass (SM) Model (1). It treats the runner as a single mass bouncing on a pair of spring-like legs, similar to pogo sticks (2). There have been a few papers verifying the model and demonstrating that it does model a runner’s performance.

If you have a mathematical background, understand Newton’s and Euler’s equations, know a little bit about Kunge-Kutta and have some understanding of the Langrangian formulation and equations of motion, please send me an email at tjacmc@aol.com. It might be interesting to see what insights we can come up with together.

Ted Andresen

(1) http://members.aol.com/tjacmc/SpringMass.jpg
(2) http://members.aol.com/EasyExperiments/GaitCycle/GaitCycle.gif

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org

hey
i live in brazil and I'm doing a theses in physiotherapy and i would like to use your picture of gait cycle, if you don't mind. but i can't get it open! if you can, please send me! i wouldn't know how to thank you
see you soon!
love,
julia

I find this invitation to collaborate on understanding running performance through the use of a mathematical model very intriguing. The Spring Mass Model is a well-established and validated model that can provide valuable insights into the biomechanics of running. I am particularly interested in the use of Newton's and Euler's equations, and the application of Kunge-Kutta and Langrangian formulation to this model. I believe that by combining our knowledge and skills in math, physics, and engineering, we can gain a deeper understanding of the complexities of running biomechanics and potentially make advancements in this field. I would be happy to connect and discuss potential collaborations further. Thank you for sharing this opportunity.

Related to Calling Math & Physics Runners: Take a Look at the SM Model!

What is the SM Model?

The SM (Standard Model) is a theory in physics that explains the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe.

What is the significance of the SM Model?

The SM Model is significant because it has successfully predicted and explained a wide range of phenomena in particle physics, including the discovery of the Higgs boson. It is considered to be the most comprehensive and accurate theory of particle physics to date.

What are the fundamental particles in the SM Model?

The fundamental particles in the SM Model are quarks, leptons, and gauge bosons. Quarks and leptons make up all matter, while gauge bosons are responsible for the fundamental forces in the universe.

What are the fundamental forces in the SM Model?

The fundamental forces in the SM Model are the strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, the electromagnetic force, and the gravitational force. These forces govern the interactions between particles and determine the behavior of matter.

What are some current challenges to the SM Model?

While the SM Model has been incredibly successful in explaining many phenomena, it is not a complete theory and has some limitations. Some current challenges include the inability to explain dark matter and dark energy, and the lack of a unified theory of all forces, including gravity.