Exploring Mirrors and Reflection: Unanswered Questions in Image Reversal

• Thread starter madness
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Images
In summary, the image in a mirror is not actually reversed, but appears so due to the way we are used to seeing objects. When an object is reflected in a mirror, it is not actually reversed left-to-right or top-to-bottom, but rather forward-to-back. This is why we can only see the reflection of an object, and not both the object and its reflection at the same time. The perceived reversal of the image is due to the fact that we are not viewing the object directly, but rather its reflection.
madness
I have never understood how images are reflected in mirrors, even now that I am going into my fourth year of university I have some really basic (probably stupid) questions that I need to ask.
When an word is reflected in a mirror, why do the letters appear reversed but the word doesn't (the letters still appear in the same order)? Secondly, why do they appear reversed from side to side but not top to bottom?
I know these questions are probably stupid but I really can't work them out. Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
madness said:
When an word is reflected in a mirror, why do the letters appear reversed but the word doesn't (the letters still appear in the same order)?
The letters and the word are reversed. Look again.

If you write ABC across your shirt and view it in the mirror, the letters read from right to left and the word reads from right to left.

madness said:
Secondly, why do they appear reversed from side to side but not top to bottom?
I know these questions are probably stupid but I really can't work them out. Thanks.
A trickier one. This'll take some time to unravel. And BTW, this question has stumped many.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/mirrors.html

http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath142.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always draw a ray diagram.

Hi madness! :smile:
madness said:
Secondly, why do they appear reversed from side to side but not top to bottom?

If they were reversed from side to side and top to bottom, then they wouldn't be reversed at all, they'd only be rotated 180º. :smile:

Reflection can only be in one axis at a time (or three axes, or five, or …) … if it's in an even number of axes, it's the same way up, but rotated.

tiny-tim said:
Hi madness! :smile:

If they were reversed from side to side and top to bottom, then they wouldn't be reversed at all, they'd only be rotated 180º. :smile:

Reflection can only be in one axis at a time (or three axes, or five, or …) … if it's in an even number of axes, it's the same way up, but rotated.
OK, but that doesn't address the question: why always left-to-right and never top-to bottom.

I've read a lot of answers to this problem but I have yet to read one that is succinct.

Draw lines from the object to the mirror and back. That should help. If more is needed, think of looking at a sheet of paper with text on it, but from the opposite side.

Succinctionalification!

DaveC426913 said:
OK, but that doesn't address the question: why always left-to-right and never top-to bottom.

I've read a lot of answers to this problem but I have yet to read one that is succinct.

Only vertical mirrors reverse writing left-to-right.

Horizontal mirrors retain left-to-right, but reverse top-to-bottom. :smile:

:biggrin: Succinctionalification! :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:

Mirrors don't reverse left and right (or up and down), they reverse forward and back.

DaveC426913 said:

Okay, here's a succinct answer: Mirrors do NOT reverse left-to-right!

Seeing "reversed" images in a mirror in purely Psychological. If a person were standing in front of you, face to face, and raised his right hand, it would be directly opposite your left hand. But that is because the person had to "reverse", turn around, in order to face you. The same thing with words on a sheet of paper. If I were holding a sheet of paper, with words on it, in exactly the same way as I would to see the words in the mirror, I could not read it- the words would be facing away from me. In order to be able to read it, I would have to reverse the paper myself. The words and letters in a mirror look odd because they are NOT reversed. Looking at ourselves in a mirror, we look odd because the image is NOT reversed the way people we look at face to face are.

Try this experiment: Write something on a sheet of paper. Stand in front of a mirror and hold the paper up in front of you so you can see the reflected image of what you wrote. It's mirror-reversed, right? But can you simultaneously see the original writing? No, because it's facing away from you.

Now, write something on a transparent sheet of glass or plastic. Stand in front of a mirror and hold the sheet up in front of you. Now you can see both the original writing (through the back side of the sheet) and the reflection in the mirror. How do they compare?

To tiny tim - the mirror doesn't reflect the image along any single axis, and if you rotate the paper so that the words read vertically then the work becomes reversed from top to bottom instead of left and right. It is essentially the same as reading something written on acetate from the wrong side as jtbell said. I understand this but still find it confusing that the image seems to be reversed one way but not the other.
Thanks for the links DaveC, they were quite useful in understanding the reflection and also left/right handed bases.

Last edited:
madness said:
the mirror doesn't reflect the image along any single axis

Actually the mirror does reverse the image along one axis: the axis perpendicular to the mirror. Consider holding up a sheet of paper in front of you as in the experiment I described above. The front of the paper (the side with the writing on it) faces away from you, but the front of the image faces towards you. The back of the paper faces towards you, but the back of the image faces away from you.

And of course your own image is reversed front-to-back so that you're looking at the image of your face instead of the image of the back of your head.

Yes I suppose it is reflected in that axis but this is more abstract, since the image is 2d and this axis is out of the image plane. This means something infront of the mirror appears behind the mirror, however the image is 2d so it is not literally behind the mirror. This is very different from a reflection in an axis on the plane of the mirror, where something on the left really would be on the right.

And even given this explanation, it still seems confusing that is appears to be revered in a left to right sense. There is more than one way to turn a piece of paper so that it faces away from you - turn it one way and the writing looks backwards, the other and it looks upside down. The sense in which the image is reversed around the axis perpendicular to the mirror is the former and not the latter. The best explanation I have seen to the whole problem is in the links given by DaveC.

1. What is the difference between a mirror and a reflective surface?

A mirror is a smooth, highly polished surface that reflects light in a specific way, creating a clear and accurate image of objects in front of it. On the other hand, a reflective surface can refer to any surface that reflects light to some degree, but may not necessarily produce a clear or accurate image.

2. How does a mirror reverse images?

A mirror reverses images through the process of reflection. When light hits the smooth surface of a mirror, it bounces off at an equal angle to the angle at which it hit the mirror. This creates a mirror image, in which the right side of the object is reflected as the left side and vice versa.

3. Can mirrors reflect all types of light?

No, mirrors can only reflect certain types of light. Generally, mirrors are designed to reflect visible light, which is the portion of the electromagnetic spectrum that humans can see. However, they may also reflect other types of light, such as infrared or ultraviolet light, depending on the materials used to make the mirror.

4. Do all mirrors produce the same quality of reflection?

No, the quality of reflection can vary depending on the type of mirror. For example, a flat mirror will produce a clear and accurate reflection, while a funhouse mirror will distort the image. The quality of reflection can also be affected by the cleanliness and smoothness of the mirror's surface.

5. How do mirrors affect the perception of space and depth?

Mirrors can create the illusion of more space and depth by reflecting objects and creating the appearance of a larger or deeper space. This is why mirrors are commonly used in interior design to make rooms seem larger. Additionally, the placement and angle of a mirror can also impact the perception of space and depth in a room.