Answer MATLAB Bitstream Question | Fast Solution

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter shekoofy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of converting a long bitstream in MATLAB into a form where each bit occupies one bit instead of a double in the workspace. It is suggested to use a longer integer data type and bit-level operators to achieve this. Tips and resources for implementing this are also provided.
shekoofy
matlab easy question!

hi,
I,ve recently wrote a m-file in MATLAB which generates a kind of long bitstream,science it is a long stream i wonder if there is any pisibility that i could put them in a form that each bit occupies
exactly one bit rather than a double in workspace.
thank u all

Physics news on Phys.org

shekoofy said:
hi,
I,ve recently wrote a m-file in MATLAB which generates a kind of long bitstream,science it is a long stream i wonder if there is any pisibility that i could put them in a form that each bit occupies
exactly one bit rather than a double in workspace.

Yes, you could use one of the longer integer data types and bit-level operators. Try:

help uint64
help bitset
help bitget

-Will Dwinnell
http://matlabdatamining.blogspot.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a MATLAB bitstream?

A MATLAB bitstream is a sequence of binary digits that represents the numerical values of a signal or data. It is used to process and analyze data in the MATLAB software.

2. How can I generate a bitstream in MATLAB?

To generate a bitstream in MATLAB, you can use the "bitstream" function. This function takes in a signal or data and converts it into a bitstream using a specified bit depth and format.

3. What is the purpose of a bitstream in MATLAB?

The purpose of a bitstream in MATLAB is to represent data or signals in a binary form that can be processed and analyzed by the software. It allows for efficient storage and manipulation of data.

4. Can I modify a bitstream in MATLAB?

Yes, you can modify a bitstream in MATLAB using various functions such as "bitand", "bitor", and "bitxor". These functions allow you to perform bitwise operations on the binary data in the bitstream.

5. Are there any limitations to using bitstreams in MATLAB?

One limitation of using bitstreams in MATLAB is that they can only represent discrete data, not continuous signals. Additionally, the size of the bitstream is limited by the available memory in the system.