Maximizing LCD light output

In summary, A digital signage company has been looking into the possibility of using full color LCD displays outdoors. They purchased a large LCD television to play around with and found that at the very back is a series of white LEDs for the back light. There is a half inch of space before the LCD module, which I assume has the polarizer(s?) built in. The original backlight put out roughly 6000 nits and an all white message on the display allowed 280 nits through. Roughly 5% of the light was being transmitted through the LCD. They replaced the backlight with their own design, capable of 16000 nits, but somewhere in the process they lost a lot of throughput. They have also considered that maybe they couldn't
Jonpro03
Hello,

My name is Jon Proietti and I am an intern at a digital signage company. We've been looking into the possibility of using full color LCD displays outdoors. We want to increase the light output through the LCD so that it will be more easily visible in direct sunlight.

We purchased a large LCD television to play around with. Here is my understanding of how it's set up; please correct me if I am wrong.

At the very back is a series of white LEDs for the back light. 2" in front of them is a diffuser followed by two sheets of what I would call prism sheets. Their function seems to be directing the diffused light directly forward. There is a half inch of space before the LCD module, which I assume has the polarizer(s?) built in.

The original backlight put out roughly 6000 nits (cd/m2) and an all white message on the display allowed 280 nits through. Roughly 5%.

We built a jig and replaced the backlight with our own design, capable of 16000 nits. But somewhere in the process I lost a lot of throughput.
Code:
INPUT   OUTPUT
NITS     NITS

1694	28.6    1.69%
3442	57.8    1.68%
5131	81.63	1.59%
6780	106.8	1.58%
8390	131.2	1.56%
11040	165.3	1.50%
12320	188.3	1.53%
14070	212.1	1.51%
15250	236.5	1.55%
16750	259.4	1.55%

I'm not sure where I went wrong. Maybe it's that the jig is not enclosed and light is escaping. I know that some light is bouncing off of the diffuser. Maybe I need to enclose the jig with some reflective white surface to reflect the light back?

I've also considered that maybe I couldn't get an accurate reading of the original backlight LEDs. They are spaced about 3" apart, which makes getting a good reading with my nits gun hard to do (LS-100).

How much light can I expect to go through an LCD module?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There are several steps in the process, and at each one you will loose light.

From the source trought the polarizer you will loose 50% unless your light source is naturally polarized - without taking diffusers etc into account that are there to make the back lighting homogeneous and "flat".

Then there is the liquid crystal itself. Ideally it would be able to rotate the polarization by 90 deg. In reality this is bound to be much less. You might gain here with a thicker LC (higher electric field for switching required) or even several LC layers.

If this rotation angle is called theta, then the transmission through the second polarizer should then be sin^2(theta) = 100% for theta=90 deg, but only 50% for theta=45 deg,
25% for theta=30 deg and so on.

Finally, remember that the white message is composed of coloured pixels. Assume that each color filter transmits 1/3 of the spectrum (I am afraid that this is generous!).

50% for unpolarized light source
25% for theta=30 deg rotating angle
33% for color filter

makes a bit more than 4% in total.

If I were you, I'd check if the original LEDs are polarized, and if your nit-gun is sensitive to polarization. A simple photo filter (check both directions through the filter to also test circular polarization!) or polarized sunglasses will do the trick.

The order of the LC will probably depend on the temperature. That may explain why the transmission drops at large power. That is something to check, too.

I read online that I can expect about 8%. That would be fantastic if I could hit that, though I feel that number may be too generous as you described.

I have a theory about our significant losses.

The backlight we are using is composed of red green and blue LEDs. I have a feeling that the LCD color filter has a slightly different wavelength than the LEDs we are using. Therefore the peak wavelength of the LED is being blocked by the filter.

I plan on using a spectroradiometer tomorrow to measure a pure red message on the LCD using the original backlight, and so on for green and blue. That should give me a good understanding of what wavelengths the filter is, and what wavelength I should use for my backlighting.

So my hypothesis was correct.

The LEDs we're using have peak wavelengths of:

R: 634nm
G: 523nm
B: 464nm

While the color filter has peak wavelengths of:

R: 611nm
G: 544nm
B: 448nm

Here is the Red:
xwHfa.png

The right border is set to 634nm, the peak of the LEDs we've been using. You can see that about 50% attenuation can be expected.

Green:
eZFRO.png

Here the left border is set to 523nm, with attenuation at about 68%.

Blue:
xp5cY.png

The right border is set to 468nm, attenuation about 28%. OUCH.

So I have some work to do to either find some LEDs with the right wavelength, or an LCD module with a broad spectrum color filter.

Hello Jon,

Thank you for reaching out to me about maximizing LCD light output. It sounds like you have been conducting some interesting experiments with LCD displays and I would be happy to offer some insights and suggestions.

Firstly, your understanding of the setup is correct. The backlight is typically made up of white LEDs that provide the initial light source for the LCD display. The diffuser and prism sheets are used to evenly distribute and direct the light towards the LCD module, which contains the polarizers.

It is important to note that LCD displays are not designed to be used outdoors, especially in direct sunlight. The maximum light output that can be achieved through an LCD module will depend on several factors such as the quality and efficiency of the backlight and the quality of the LCD panel itself. In general, the maximum light output for an LCD display is around 1000 nits (cd/m2).

Based on the data you provided, it seems like your new backlight design is capable of producing a much higher light output than the original one. However, it appears that there is a significant loss of light throughput between the backlight and the final output. This could be due to several reasons, such as light escaping from the jig or the light being reflected off the diffuser. To improve the light throughput, you could try enclosing the jig with a reflective white surface to minimize light loss and maximize reflection back towards the LCD module.

Another factor to consider is the accuracy of your readings. It is possible that the original backlight LEDs were not accurately measured, leading to a discrepancy in the results. To ensure accurate readings, it may be helpful to use a spectroradiometer instead of a nits gun.

In conclusion, while it is possible to increase the light output of an LCD display, it is important to keep in mind that LCD displays are not designed for outdoor use and may not be able to achieve the same level of brightness as other display technologies. I hope this information helps and I wish you the best of luck with your experiments.

Best,

1. What is LCD light output and why is it important?

LCD light output refers to the brightness of the liquid crystal display (LCD) screen. It is important because a brighter display allows for better visibility and clarity, especially in well-lit environments.

2. How can I maximize the light output of my LCD screen?

To maximize light output, you can adjust the brightness settings on your device or use a screen protector with anti-glare properties. You can also clean the screen regularly to remove any dust or smudges that may be reducing the brightness.

3. Can the age of an LCD screen affect its light output?

Yes, over time, the backlight of an LCD screen may become dimmer, resulting in reduced light output. This is a normal occurrence and can be remedied by replacing the backlight or the entire screen.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect LCD light output?

Yes, the temperature and humidity of the environment can also impact the light output of an LCD screen. High temperatures and humidity can cause the screen to appear dimmer, while cooler temperatures can result in a brighter display.

5. Is there a way to measure the light output of an LCD screen?

Yes, the light output of an LCD screen can be measured using a photometer, which is a device that measures the intensity of light. This can be useful for calibrating the screen's brightness settings and ensuring optimal light output.

Back