Exploring the Irrationality of Pi: Geometrical and Series Proofs

• Thread starter Aditya89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doubt
In summary, the proof for the irrationality of pi involves the use of Gregory's series and a lemma that states if a function and its anti-derivatives can be taken to be integer valued at both 0 and c, then c is irrational. This lemma can also be used to prove the irrationality of other numbers such as e. Another interesting aspect of this proof is that it uses calculus methods to prove a numeric property, and also involves a proof by contradiction that leads to two contradictory statements.
Aditya89
Hey guys, how do you prove that 'pi' is irrational? I think that it is related to infinite series? Is there any geometrical method?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The series for Pi is Gregory's Series to proove the irrationality is quite difficult, just google it.

Here's my favorite proof:

Lemma 1: Let c be a positive real number. If there exist a function, f, continuous on [0,c] and positive on (0,c) and such that f and its iterated anti-derivatives can be taken to be integer valued at both 0 and c, the c is irrational.
("can be taken to be"- we can always choose the constant of integration such that we have any given value at either 0 or c. Here we require that it the function be integer valued at BOTH 0 and c. I will post the proof separately. I remember seeing it in "Mathematics Magazine" many years ago but don't remember the author.)

Theorem [itex]\pi[/itex] is irrational:
f(x)= sin(x) is continuous for all x and positive on (0, [itex]\pi[/itex]). All anti-derivatives can be taken to be [itex]\pm sin(x)[/itex] or [itex]\pm cos(x)[/itex], all of which are integer valued (0 or [itex]\pm 1[/itex]) at [itex]x= \pi[/itex]. Therefore, by lemma 1, [itex]\pi[/itex] is irrational.

One can also use lemma 1 to prove that e is irrational.

Lemma 2: If a is a positive real number, not equal to 1, such that ln(a) is rational, then a itself is irrational.
Proof: First note that ln(1/a)= -ln(a) is rational if and only if ln(a) is and 1/a is rational if and only if a is rational so it is sufficient to prove this for a> 1. (If a<1, apply the lemma to 1/a.)
If a>1 then ln(a)> 0. Suppose that ln(a) is rational and, contradicting the hypothesis, that a is rational: a= m/n reduced to lowest terms. Apply lemma 1 with c= ln(a)= ln(m/n) and f(x)= nex. Then f(x) is positive and continuous for all x and so for the required intervals. We can take ALL anti-derivatives to be f(x)=nex by taking the constant of integration to be 0. f(0)= n, an integer, and f(c)= f(ln(m/n)= neln(m/n)= m, an integer. Therefore, by lemma 1, a is rational, a contradiction.

Now: Theorem: e is irrational.
e is a positive real number, not equal to 1 (since 1= e0 and ex is 1 to 1). ln(e)= 1, a rational number. Therefore, by lemma 2, e is irrational.

Here is the proof of "lemma 1" above. As I said there, I remember reading it in "Mathematics Magazine" many years ago but don't remember the author. It is certainly not original with me! I find it intriguing for two reasons- first, irrationality is a numeric, not function, property, yet this depends upon calculus methods. Second, it is the "worst" kind of proof by contradiction! Contradicting the conclusion (that c is irrational) leads to two conclusions (I call them "statement A" and "statement B" below) neither of which seems to have much to do with irrationality but which contradict one another.
Lemma i: let c be a positive real number. If there exist a function f, continuous on [0,c] and positive on (0,c), such that f and all of its anti-derivatives can be taken to be integer valued at 0 and c (by appropriate choice of the constant of integration), then c is irrational.
Proof by contradiction:
First: define the set P of all polynomials, p(x), such that p and all of its derivatives are integer valued at 0 and c.
Notice "derivatives" rather than "anti-derivatives". That allows us to prove:
Lemma i: if f(x) is the function above and p(x) is any polynomial in P, then [itex]\int_0^c f(x)p(x)dx[/itex] is an integer.
To prove this, use repeated integeration by parts, repeatedly integrating the f "part" and differentiating the p "part". Since p is a polynomial and differentiating reduces the degree, that will eventually terminate giving the integral as a sum of anti-derivatives of f times derivatives of p, all of which are integer valued at 0 and c.
A similar proof gives
Lemma ii: the set P is closed under multiplication.
Suppose p and q are both in P. The pq is a polynomial and pq(0)= p(0)q(0) and pq(c)= p(c)q(c) are products of integers. All derivatives of pq can be done by repeated application of the product rule: every derivative is a sum of products of various derivatives of p times derivatives of q- all integer valued at 0 and c.

Now, suppose c is rational: c= m/n reduced to lowest terms. Let p0(x)= m- 2nx. Clearly p is a polynomial. p(0)= m, an integer and p(c)= p(m/n)= m- 2n(m/n)= -m, an integer. p'(x)= -2n, an integer for all x, and all subsequent derivatives are 0. Therefore, p0 is in P.

For i any positive integer, let [itex]p_i(x)= \frac{(mx- nx^2)^i}{i!}[/itex]. We will prove, by induction, that pi is in P for all i.,
If i= 1, p1(x)= mx- nx^2= x(m- nx). p1(0)= 0 because of that 'x' factor and p1(c)= p1(m/n)= 0 because of the 'm-nx' factor. p'1= m- 2nx= p0(x). Since that is in P we have immediately that all derivatives of p1 are integer valued at p and so p1 is in P.

Assume that pi is in P for some i. [itex]p_{i+1}= \frac{(mx-nx^2)^{i+1}}{(i+1)!}= \frac{x^{i+1}(m-nx)^{i+1}}{(i+1)!}[/itex] is 0 at both x=0 and x= c= m/n because of the factors. [itex]p'(x)= \frac{i(mx-nx^2)^i(m-2nx)}{(i+1)!}= \frac{(mx-nx^2)^i}{i!}(m- 2nx)= p_i(x)p_0(x)[/itex]. Since both pi and p0 are in P and P is closed under multiplication, so is p'i+1- all further derivatives are integer valued at 0 and c and so pi+1 is in P.
Since f(x) is continuous on [0,c], it takes on a maximum value there: let M= max f(x) on [0,c]. Further, since f is positive on (0, c), M> 0. Since, for all i, pi is differentiable on [0, c] it not only takes on a maximum value but that maximum value occurs either at an endpoint (0 or c) or in the interior where p'i(x)= 0. We have already seen that pi is 0 at 0 and c, for all i, (and only at x= 0 or c) and that p'i(x)= pi-1(x)p0(x). p'i(x)= 0 only where p0(x)= m- 2nx= 0 or x= m/2n= c/2. pi(m/2n)= \frac{\left(\frac{m^2}{4n}\right)^i}{i!}. Since that is positive, that is the maximum value of pi on [0, c].

Now we can prove:
[tex]\int_0^c f(x)p_i(x)dx\le \int_0^cM\frac{\left(\frac{m^2}{4n}\right)^i}{i!}dx= Mc\frac{\left(\frac{m^2}{4n}\right)^i}{i!}[/tex]
That is a constant times a constant to the i power, divided by i!. As i goes to infinity, the factorial dominates and the limit is 0- we can make that as small as we please:
Therefore, Statement A:
For some i, [itex]\int_0^c f(x)p_i(x)dx< \frac{1}{2}[/itex].
But since f(x) and all pi(x) are positive on (0, c) (every pi is 0 only at 0 and c and is positive at c/2),
[itex]\int_0^cf(x)p_i(x)dx[/itex] is a positive integer and so (statement B) must be larger than or equal to 1 for all i. That contradicts statement A and so the theorem is true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting that, I've never seen a proof for 'lemma 1'.

Hey thanks For that!

What does "Please clear my doubt" mean?

"Please clear my doubt" is a phrase commonly used to ask for clarification or explanation on a certain topic or concept that the person is unsure about.

Why do people often say "Please clear my doubt"?

People say "Please clear my doubt" because they want a better understanding of a certain topic or concept. It shows that they are open-minded and willing to learn more about a subject.

How can I effectively get my doubts cleared?

To effectively get your doubts cleared, you can ask specific and clear questions, provide context for your doubts, and actively listen and engage in the conversation with the person who is helping you.

Is it important to clear my doubts as a scientist?

Yes, it is important to clear your doubts as a scientist. Science is all about questioning and seeking answers, and having doubts can hinder the progress of your research. It is important to seek clarification and understanding to ensure accurate and reliable results.

What are some resources I can use to clear my doubts as a scientist?

As a scientist, you can use various resources to clear your doubts, such as textbooks, scientific journals, research articles, conferences, and discussions with peers and experts in your field. It is also important to critically evaluate the information you receive and seek out multiple sources for a well-rounded understanding.