Simplifying 'b2' of Newton's divided difference interpolation

In summary, the conversation is discussing the algebraic manipulations needed to arrive at the solution for the given equation. The person has marked a specific point in the equation with three red dots and is seeking feedback on their attempted solution. After receiving some advice, they were able to successfully figure out the solution by substituting and simplifying the given equations.
bsodmike
Hi all,

http://www.bsodmike.com/stuff/interpolation.pdf"

I am going through some of my notes and quite a few books; they all skip the over the point I have marked with 3 red dots in the http://www.bsodmike.com/stuff/interpolation.pdf" .

[tex]\begin{equation}\label{eq:solution}\begin{split}
b_2&=\dfrac{f(x_2)-b_0-b_1(x_2-x_0)}{(x_2-x_0)(x_2-x_1)}=\dfrac{f(x_2)-f(x_0)-\dfrac{f(x_1)-f(x_0)}{x_1-x_0}(x_2-x_0)}{(x_2-x_0)(x_2-x_1)}={\color{red}\hdots}= \\[10px]
&=\dfrac{\dfrac{f(x_2)-f(x_1)}{x_2-x_1}-\dfrac{f(x_1)-f(x_0)}{x_1-x_0}}{(x_2-x_0)}
\end{split}\end{equation} [/tex]

[tex]As marked above in {\color{red}red} as three {\color{red}$\hdots$}, what algebraic manipulations are needed to arrive at the solution?

The farthest I can get is,
\begin{equation}\label{eq:attempt}\begin{split}
b_2&=\dfrac{f(x_2)-f(x_0)-\dfrac{f(x_1)-f(x_0)}{x_1-x_0}(x_2-x_0)}{(x_2-x_0)(x_2-x_1)}\\[10px]
&=\dfrac{f(x_2)-f(x_0)-\left[\left(\dfrac{f(x_1)}{x_1-x_0}+\dfrac{f(x_0)}{x_0-x_1}\right)(x_2-x_0)\right]}{(x_2-x_0)(x_2-x_1)}
\end{split}\end{equation}[/tex]

I would most appreciate your comments on solving this. You can either send me a PM or an email to mike@bsodmike.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe I managed to figure it out. Take the eq. ([tex]b_1[/tex]) in terms of [tex]f(x_0)[/tex],

[tex]\begin{equation}\label{eq:attempt}
f(x_0)=f(x_1)-b_1(x_1-x_0)=f(x_1)-\dfrac{f(x_1)-f(x_0)}{x_1-x_0}(x_1-x_0)
\end{equation}[/tex]

and substitute [tex]b_1[/tex] inside. Substitute the entire [tex]f(x_0)[/tex] in,

[tex]\begin{equation}\label{eq:attempt}\begin{split}
b_2&=\dfrac{f(x_2)-f(x_0)-\dfrac{f(x_1)-f(x_0)}{x_1-x_0}(x_2-x_0)}{(x_2-x_0)(x_2-x_1)}\\[10px]
&=\dfrac{f(x_2)-\left(f(x_1)-\dfrac{f(x_1)-f(x_0)}{x_1-x_0}(x_1-x_0)\right)-\dfrac{f(x_1)-f(x_0)}{x_1-x_0}(x_2-x_0)}{(x_2-x_0)(x_2-x_1)}\\[10px]
&=\dfrac{\dfrac{f(x_2)-f(x_1)}{x_2-x_1}-\left(\dfrac{f(x_1)-f(x_0)}{(x_1-x_0)(x_2-x_1)}((x_0-x_1)+(x_2-x_0))\right)}{(x_2-x_0)}\\[10px]
&=\dfrac{\dfrac{f(x_2)-f(x_1)}{x_2-x_1}-\dfrac{f(x_1)-f(x_0)}{x_1-x_0}}{(x_2-x_0)}
\end{split}\end{equation}[/tex]

\o/ :approve:

Related to Simplifying 'b2' of Newton's divided difference interpolation

1. What is 'b2' in Newton's divided difference interpolation?

'b2' refers to the second divided difference in Newton's divided difference interpolation. It is calculated by taking the difference between the two first divided differences and dividing it by the difference between the two corresponding x values.

2. Why is simplifying 'b2' important in Newton's divided difference interpolation?

Simplifying 'b2' is important because it allows us to calculate the polynomial coefficients more efficiently. By simplifying 'b2', we can reduce the number of calculations needed and make the overall process more manageable.

3. How do we simplify 'b2' in Newton's divided difference interpolation?

To simplify 'b2', we use the formula (f[x2, x0] - f[x1, x0]) / (x2 - x1), where f[x2, x0] and f[x1, x0] are the first divided differences and x2 and x1 are the corresponding x values. This will give us the simplified value of 'b2' that can be used in the interpolation formula.

4. Can 'b2' ever be equal to zero in Newton's divided difference interpolation?

Yes, 'b2' can be equal to zero in certain cases. This happens when the two first divided differences are equal, which means that the points being interpolated lie on a straight line. In this case, the polynomial will be a linear function and the second divided difference will be equal to zero.

5. How does simplifying 'b2' affect the accuracy of the interpolation in Newton's divided difference interpolation?

Simplifying 'b2' does not have a significant effect on the accuracy of the interpolation. The final polynomial will still pass through all the given points, regardless of whether 'b2' is simplified or not. However, simplifying 'b2' can make the calculations more efficient and reduce the chances of rounding errors in the final result.