What is the Taylor series expansion for (1 + x)^.5 and its derivatives?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the first four nonzero terms in the Taylor series expansion for three different functions: f(x) = (1+x)^.5, g(x) = (1+x^3)^.5, and h(x) such that h'(x) = (1+x^3)^.5 and h(0) = 4. The conversation also includes a discussion on integrating the Taylor series and finding the integration constant. Ultimately, the final solution for h(x) is x + x^4/8 - x^7/56 + 4.
rjs123

Homework Statement

a. Find the first four nonzero terms in the Taylor series expansion about x = 0 for f(x) = (1+x)^.5

b. Use the results found in part (a) to find the first four nonzero terms in the Taylor series expansion about x= 0 for g(x) = (1 + x^3)^.5

c. Find the first four nonzero terms in the Taylor series expansion about x = 0 for the function h such that h'(x) = (1 + x^3)^.5 and h(0) = 4

The Attempt at a Solution

a. Pn(x) = 1 + 1/2x - x^2/(8) + x^3/(16)

b. stuck...

Physics news on Phys.org
since the taylor expansion for g(x) and f(x) are both about 0 and get the same value when you insert 0 into it then you can just put x^3 into the taylor expansion for f(x) instead of x and get

1 + 1/2x^3 - (x^3)^2/8 + (x^3)^3/16

which is the solution to part b.

Part c is then to integrate the taylor expansion for g(x) and use the h(0) = 4 to find the integration constant.

ojs said:
since the taylor expansion for g(x) and f(x) are both about 0 and get the same value when you insert 0 into it then you can just put x^3 into the taylor expansion for f(x) instead of x and get

1 + 1/2x^3 - (x^3)^2/8 + (x^3)^3/16

which is the solution to part b.

Part c is then to integrate the taylor expansion for g(x) and use the h(0) = 4 to find the integration constant.

this is what i was thinking...but when i try and find the 1st 4 nonzero terms for (1 + x^3)^.5 by finding the derivatives you end up with just 1...since every term after the first is going to equal 0 when x = 0.

rjs123 said:
this is what i was thinking...but when i try and find the 1st 4 nonzero terms for (1 + x^3)^.5 by finding the derivatives you end up with just 1...since every term after the first is going to equal 0 when x = 0.

But that's just not true. For example, the third derivative is nonzero at x=0.

Char. Limit said:
But that's just not true. For example, the third derivative is nonzero at x=0.

f(x) (1+x^3)^.5...... x= 0 .... 1
f'(x) 3/2x^2(1+x^3)^-.5... x = 0 ... 0
f''(x) -9/4x^4(1+x^3)^-1.5... x= 0 ... 0
f'''(x) -81/8x^6(1+x^3)^-2.5... x= 0 ... 0

im probably doing something wrong here

Last edited:
Your first and second derivatives aren't correct. Are you using the product rule?

EDIT: Sorry, your first is right. Your second derivative isn't right, though. Neither is your third.

Char. Limit said:
Your first and second derivatives aren't correct. Are you using the product rule?

EDIT: Sorry, your first is right. Your second derivative isn't right, though. Neither is your third.

ah i see...i was just using the power rule and completely forgot about the product rule here...for f''(x) it would be 3/2x^2(dx)*(1+x^3)^-.5 + 3/2x^2 * (1+x^3)^-.5 (dx) it kinda gets messy after the first derivative

Yeah, it does. I recommend using the Taylor series for sqrt(1+x) and then just plugging in x^3 wherever there is an x. It will get you the first four terms a lot faster and easier.

Char. Limit said:
Yeah, it does. I recommend using the Taylor series for sqrt(1+x) and then just plugging in x^3 wherever there is an x. It will get you the first four terms a lot faster and easier.

b. 1 + 1/2x^3 -x^6/8 + x^9/16

c. integrate b... h(0) = 4

x + x^4/8 - x^7/56 + x^10/160

h(0) = 4

therefore the integral constant is 4 since all the terms equal 0 when 0 is plugged into them...correct?

Yes, that's correct. If you want, I believe you can discard the x^10 term at this point, as you have 4 non-zero terms without it.

Char. Limit said:
Yes, that's correct. If you want, I believe you can discard the x^10 term at this point, as you have 4 non-zero terms without it.

the integral constant would be appended to the end like this...then discard the x^10

x + x^4/8 - x^7/56 + 4

Looks good.

Char. Limit said:
Looks good.

thanks for your help...appreciate it.

FAQ: What is the Taylor series expansion for (1 + x)^.5 and its derivatives?

What is a Taylor series expansion?

A Taylor series expansion is a mathematical tool used to approximate a function using a series of terms. It allows for the function to be expressed as an infinite sum of polynomials, which can be more easily manipulated and studied.

What is the purpose of using a Taylor series expansion?

The purpose of a Taylor series expansion is to approximate a function in a certain range of values. It allows for more complex functions to be approximated by simpler polynomials, making calculations and analysis easier.

What is the formula for a Taylor series expansion?

The formula for a Taylor series expansion is: f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ... + f^(n)(a)(x-a)^n/n! + ...

What is the difference between a Maclaurin series and a Taylor series?

A Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series, where the expansion is centered at x=0. This means that a Maclaurin series is a Taylor series with a = 0.

What are the applications of Taylor series expansions?

Taylor series expansions have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to approximate functions in numerical analysis, to solve differential equations, and to understand the behavior of functions near a point. They are also used in signal processing, image processing, and in the study of chaotic systems.