Can dust agglutinate without water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of agglutination and whether it requires water or not. The person who claims to have studied geology believes that only dust with hydrated minerals can agglutinate, but the other person disagrees and wants to read more specialized information on the matter. They also ask if Earth Sciences would be a good resource for this topic. The conversation ends with a clarification of what "agglutinate" means and a list of links for further reading.
Jairo
I saw a guy claiming to have studied geology and telling that "only dust of hydrated minerals could agglutinate, because agglutination is produced only by Van Der Wall forces".
I read many times that dust can agglutinate without water traces, so I see this is wrong, but I would like to read some specialized coment or text about this matter.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't even know what 'agglutinate' means. Have you tried Earth Sciences for this?

By "agglutinate", I mean "stick together"; a thing that talc, cement and flour can do, but sand can not.

Okay, thanks Jairo. I always thought that moisture was required for that, but I've never studied it so that's just an impression that I had.

1. Can dust agglutinate without water?

Yes, dust can agglutinate without water in certain conditions. The process of agglutination, which involves the clumping together of particles, can occur through various mechanisms such as electrostatic attraction, van der Waals forces, and capillary action.

2. What is the importance of agglutination in dust particles?

Agglutination plays a crucial role in the formation of dust particles into larger particles or aggregates. These larger particles are less prone to dispersal by wind or other forces, which can impact air quality and human health.

3. What are the factors that affect dust agglutination without water?

The factors that influence the agglutination of dust particles without water include the size and composition of the particles, the relative humidity, the surface properties of the particles, and the presence of other substances such as salts or organic compounds.

4. Can dust agglutination occur in outer space?

Yes, dust agglutination has been observed in outer space, particularly in the formation of comets and other celestial bodies. In these extreme environments, particles can agglomerate due to the absence of gravity and the presence of other forces such as radiation pressure.

5. How can dust agglutination be studied in a laboratory setting?

In a laboratory, dust agglutination can be simulated by controlling various parameters such as temperature, humidity, and particle size. Techniques such as scanning electron microscopy and X-ray diffraction can also be used to analyze the structure and composition of agglomerated dust particles.