Help Needed: Understanding An=1x3x5... (2n-1)/(2n)^n Convergence

• Thread starter anderma8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the convergence or divergence of a sequence and finding its limit. The answer is obtained by distributing the denominator to each factor in the numerator. The limit is found to be 0 as the factors are multiplied by smaller fractions.
anderma8
I'm trying to figure out the following:

An=1x3x5... (2n-1)/(2n)^n and I'm trying to determine if it converges or diverges and if it converges, what the limit is. The answer is 1/2n x 3/2n x 5/2n... (2n-1)/2n and it converges, but I don't understand what they did or how they got to the answer. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
anderma8 said:
I'm trying to figure out the following:

An={1x3x5... (2n-1)}/(2n)^n and I'm trying to determine if it converges or diverges and if it converges, what the limit is. The answer is 1/2n x 3/2n x 5/2n... (2n-1)/2n and it converges, but I don't understand what they did or how they got to the answer. Any help?
Your "answer" does not give the limit. What they have done, very simply, is take that (2n)^n in the denominator and distribute it to each of the factors in the numerator. For example, if n= 3 you have {1*3*5}/(6^3)= (1/6)(3/6)(5/6). Since each factor is less than 1, and multiplying any positive number by a number less than one gives a smaller product, multiplying by more and more such fractions makes the product smaller and smaller- the sequence clearly converges to 0.

Firstly, it is important to note that the expression given can be rewritten as An = (2n-1)^1/(2n)^n. This may make it easier to understand the steps taken to determine convergence.

To determine convergence, we can use the ratio test, which states that if the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms is less than 1, then the series converges. Let's apply this to our expression:

lim┬(n→∞)⁡〖|((2(n+1)-1)^1/(2(n+1))^n )/((2n-1)^1/(2n)^n )|〗

= lim┬(n→∞)⁡〖|((2n+1)^1/(2n+2)^n )/((2n-1)^1/(2n)^n )|〗

= lim┬(n→∞)⁡〖|((2n+1)/(2n-1))^1/((2n+2)/(2n))^n |〗

= lim┬(n→∞)⁡〖|((2n+1)/(2n-1))^1/((2n+2)/(2n))^1 |〗

= lim┬(n→∞)⁡〖|(2n+1)/(2n-1)|〗 (since n→∞, the exponent n becomes 1)

= 1 (since the highest power of n in the numerator and denominator is 1)

Since this limit is less than 1, we can conclude that the series converges.

Now, to find the limit, we can use the fact that the ratio of consecutive terms approaches a constant value as n→∞. In this case, the constant value is 1. Therefore, we can write:

lim┬(n→∞)⁡〖(2n-1)^1/(2n)^n 〗= lim┬(n→∞)⁡〖1/(2n)^n 〗

= 1/lim┬(n→∞)⁡〖(2n)^n 〗 (since the limit is in the denominator, we can flip the fraction)

= 1/(∞)

1. What is the equation for An=1x3x5... (2n-1)/(2n)^n convergence?

The equation for An=1x3x5... (2n-1)/(2n)^n convergence is An=1x3x5... (2n-1)/(2n)^n.

2. How do you determine if the series An=1x3x5... (2n-1)/(2n)^n converges or diverges?

To determine if the series An=1x3x5... (2n-1)/(2n)^n converges or diverges, you can use the ratio test or the root test. If the limit of the absolute value of the ratio or root is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test may be needed.

3. Can the series An=1x3x5... (2n-1)/(2n)^n converge to a specific value?

No, the series An=1x3x5... (2n-1)/(2n)^n does not converge to a specific value. It either converges to a finite value or diverges.

4. What is the significance of the term (2n-1)/(2n)^n in the series An=1x3x5... (2n-1)/(2n)^n?

The term (2n-1)/(2n)^n is significant because it is the general term of the series, and it determines whether the series converges or diverges. It also becomes smaller as n increases, which is necessary for convergence.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the convergence of the series An=1x3x5... (2n-1)/(2n)^n?

Understanding the convergence of the series An=1x3x5... (2n-1)/(2n)^n can be useful in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It can be applied in the analysis of algorithms, approximation of values, and in the study of infinite sequences and series. It also has practical applications in finance and economics, such as in the calculation of compound interest and in risk management.