Thermodynamic Limit: Compute & Understand Model

In summary, the thermodynamic limit is a way to approximate a system with a lot of particles that has a bigger volume than the particles in the system. It is often referred to as making the number of particles in the system infinite. It is appropriate to take the limit when the number of particles in the system is equal to or greater than the Avogadro number. Surface effects are something that can depend on the context, but in general they are a good approximation for systems with a solid surface.
Euclid
Can someone give an example of how to compute the "thermodynamic limit" of some model? I am very confused by this concept.

Science news on Phys.org
I guess it is just making the number of particles in your system infinity, then depending on what you desripe you have to make som restrains on how you take this limit, one example could be to keep the density if the system constant that is, when N -> inf, the vomule go to infinity to in such a way that N/V is constant.

This can seems strange because we never going to have a infinity large system with infinity volume, but this is a good aproximation of a system that have particle numbers in the range of avogadros number and a volume there is a lot bigger than the particles in the system.

mrandersdk said:
I guess it is just making the number of particles in your system infinity, then depending on what you desripe you have to make som restrains on how you take this limit, one example could be to keep the density if the system constant that is, when N -> inf, the vomule go to infinity to in such a way that N/V is constant.

This can seems strange because we never going to have a infinity large system with infinity volume, but this is a good aproximation of a system that have particle numbers in the range of avogadros number and a volume there is a lot bigger than the particles in the system.

I guess I am confused mostly as to why it sometimes doesn't exist. In given situation, I would like to know how to determine if the TL exists. When exactly is it appropriate to take this limit?

Also, related to this, does anyone know what "surface effects" are?

the thing is you often get some formel where you have N/V in it, then you could take the limit so this is constant, if it is N^2/V that are in your formel you take the limit such that this is constant, if you took the limit in that case such that N/V is constant then this would make the formel go to infinity and then meaningless.

you could also look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermodynamic_limithttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermodynamic_limit which try to explain why we want to make the limit.

surface effects, i guess depend on the context, but if you fx. have a solid, then we often approximate this by an infinite solid, because that enables us to make our potential periodic, that is impose bondary conditions: V(x) = V(x-a), where 'a' i a lattice constant, in the x,y, and z direction (assuming that the solid lattice is square). This is in genneral a good approximation beacuse most atoms in the lattice are inside the solid so most see this potential, but the atoms near the surface see a different potential so there the model brakes down, because of the surface, thus a surface effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the thermodynamic limit?

The thermodynamic limit is a concept in statistical mechanics that refers to the behavior of a system as the number of particles or degrees of freedom approaches infinity. In this limit, the macroscopic properties of the system become independent of the microscopic details and can be described by simple, general laws.

2. How is the thermodynamic limit related to computing and understanding models?

The thermodynamic limit is important in computing and understanding models because it allows us to make simplifying assumptions and use mathematical techniques to analyze large systems. By taking the limit of an infinitely large system, we can gain insight into the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their properties.

3. What are some common models that use the thermodynamic limit?

Some common models that use the thermodynamic limit include the Ising model, the ideal gas model, and the lattice gas model. These models are used to study a variety of physical phenomena, such as phase transitions, critical phenomena, and thermodynamic properties of materials.

4. How do we compute the thermodynamic limit?

The thermodynamic limit is typically computed using mathematical techniques, such as statistical mechanics and thermodynamics. These methods involve taking the limit of a large number of particles or degrees of freedom and using statistical averages to describe the behavior of the system.

5. Why is the thermodynamic limit important in scientific research?

The thermodynamic limit is important in scientific research because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of complex systems. By taking the limit of an infinitely large system, we can make predictions about the macroscopic properties of the system and gain insight into its behavior. This is crucial in fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science.