Calculating Derivatives of a Complex Function: M'(t) and M''(t) Computation

• Thread starter Taylor1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, we discussed the computation of M'(t) and M''(t) for the given function M(t) = (pe^t)^r / (1-qe^t)^r, with the option to use R(t) = ln M(t). We explored different methods such as the quotient rule, power rule, and implicit differentiation, and arrived at the simplified expressions of M'(t) = rM(t) / (1-qe^t) and M''(t) = rM(t) (r+qe^t) / (1-qe^t)^2. An alternative approach was also suggested by simplifying M(t) before differentiation.
Taylor1234
Derivative... PLEASE help!

Please compute M'(t) and M''(t)?

M(t) =

(pe^t)^r
------------
(1-qe^t)^r

Can use R(t) = ln M(t) if you choose to.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Are p,q, and r constants or functions of t?
Do you know the derivative of e^t?
The chain rule?
The power rule?
The quotient rule?

lurflurf said:
Are p,q, and r constants or functions of t?
Do you know the derivative of e^t?
The chain rule?
The power rule?
The quotient rule?

p, q, and r are constants. Yes, I know that the derivative of e^t is e^t and all of the derivative rules, but after performing the quotient rule one time I got a huge mess that I could not seem to condense down. That is what I need help with.

Ultimately, I am trying to come up with M'(t) = r(1/p) but I cannot seem to arrive at that conclusion on my own.

Try to simplify M before differentiation.
It is not possible that M'(t) = r(1/p), if that were so M(t) would have to be r(1/p)t.
If you know about implicit differentiation you could differentiate
M(t)*(1-qe^t)^r=(pe^t)^r

Taylor1234 said:
Please compute M'(t) and M''(t)?

M(t) =

(pe^t)^r
------------
(1-qe^t)^r

Can use R(t) = ln M(t) if you choose to.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Well, we have:
[tex]M'(t)=\frac{r*(pe^{t})^{r-1}*(pe^{t})}{(1-qe^{t})^{r}}-\frac{(pe^{t})^{r}}{
(1-qe^{t})^{r}}*\frac{r(1-qe^{t})^{r-1}*(-qe^{t})}{(1-qe^{t})^{r}}=rM(t)+M(t)*\frac{rqe^{t}}{1-qe^{t}}=\frac{rM(t)}{1-qe^{t}}[/tex]

Then, we get:
[tex]M''(t)=\frac{rM'(t)}{1-qe^{t}}+\frac{rM(t)qe^{t}}{(1-qe^{t})^{2}}=\frac{r^{2}M(t)}{(1-qe^{t})^{2}}+\frac{rM(t)qe^{t}}{(1-qe^{t})^{2}}=\frac{rM(t)}{(1-qe^{t})^{2}}(r+qe^{t})[/tex]

Unless I've done something wrong, that is. :smile:

Last edited:

An alternative would be to simplify as follows:
[tex]M(t)=\frac{(pe^{t})^{r}}{(1-qe^{t})^{r}}=(\frac{pe^{t}}{1-qe^{t}})^{r}=\frac{p^{r}}{(e^{-t}-q)^{r}}[/tex]

You might use this as your basic expression prior to differentiation.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. In other words, it measures how a function changes as its input changes.

2. Why are derivatives important?

Derivatives have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to analyze and model the behavior of complex systems, calculate rates of change, and optimize functions.

3. How do you calculate a derivative?

The most common method for calculating a derivative is using the limit definition, which involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the independent variable approaches zero. There are also various rules and formulas for finding derivatives of different types of functions.

4. What is the difference between a derivative and an integral?

A derivative measures the instantaneous rate of change of a function, while an integral measures the accumulation of a function over a certain interval. In other words, a derivative tells us how something is changing, while an integral tells us the total amount of something.

5. How can derivatives be used in real life?

Derivatives are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as calculating the velocity and acceleration of moving objects, predicting stock market trends, and optimizing production processes in manufacturing. They are also used in fields like medicine and biology to model and analyze complex systems.