Do Reference Frames Affect Thermal Equilibrium and Temperature Observations?

In summary, Ques 1) If two bodies are in thermal equilibrium in one frame, they will be in thermal equilibrium in all frames. Ques 2) The temperature of a body depends on the frame from which it is observed. Ques 5) It is possible for two bodies to be in thermal equilibrium if they are not in contact.
Tush
Ques 1) If two bodies are in thermal equilibrium in one frame, will they be in thermal equilibrium in all frames ?

Ques 2) Does the temperature of a body depends on the frame from which it is observed ?

Ques 3) The length of a brass rod is found to be smaller on a hot summer day than on a cold winter day as measured by the same aluminium scale. Do we conclude that brass shrinks on heating ?

Ques 4) If an automobile engine is overheated, it is cooled by putting water on it. It is advised that the water should be put slowly with engine running. Explain the reason.

Ques 5) Is it possible for two bodies to be in thermal equilibrium , if they are not in contact ?

Science news on Phys.org
People aren't going to answer a set of homework (or whatever) questions for you.
What specific issues/questions do you have?
What are your thoughts so far?

I am really sorry, but these aren't a set of homework questions. I just want a fruitful discussion on these questions.

Now, regarding Ques 3, my doubt is that inspite of positive value of coefficient of linear expansion, then how can the length of brass rod be decreased ? Is it due to the fact that the length of the brass rod is measured on Aluminium scale ? (Coeff of thermal expansion of Aluminium > that of brass).

Now, my point of view about ques 4... water has the highest specific heat capacity as compared to other substance, so water is used as a coolant in car engines.
Now, Q = m c (dT) where c is the specific heat capacity
"It is advised that the water should be put slowly with engine running" Is it bcoz of the fact that water has highest specific heat capacity as compared to other substance and consequently, more heat is released ?

Last edited:
Question 2 and 5 will help answer question 1. What does thermal equilibrium mean? How is it achieved?

What you said about q3 is I think the only possible solution.

q4: I think you have the right idea. You should add the water slowly w/ the engine running so you don't cool the engine too fast and crack the block. (In actuality one should add water slowly with the engine off--> as soon as an engine starts to over heat it should be turned off).

hhmm thanx

Tush said:
Ques 1) If two bodies are in thermal equilibrium in one frame, will they be in thermal equilibrium in all frames ?

Ques 2) Does the temperature of a body depends on the frame from which it is observed ?
<snip>

Ques 5) Is it possible for two bodies to be in thermal equilibrium , if they are not in contact ?

A5 is 'yes', unless you have a strange definition of 'contact'- two bodies may exchange energy by radiation.

A1 and A2 are, I think, 'no' and 'yes'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unruh_effect

Andy Resnick said:
A1 and A2 are, I think, 'no' and 'yes'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unruh_effect
I was thinking about that:if they're both in equilibrium in one reference frame, wouldn't any transformation to another reference frame keep them in equilibrium?

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformation from one form to another.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern energy and its behavior in nature. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero is zero.

3. How does heat transfer occur in thermodynamics?

Heat transfer occurs through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through a solid material, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature in thermodynamics?

Heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. Heat is transferred from a higher temperature to a lower temperature, while temperature remains constant during this transfer.

5. How does thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics is applicable to many aspects of everyday life, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and the functioning of engines and machines. It also helps us understand the processes that occur in our bodies, such as metabolism and digestion.