A question about electromagnetic wave function

In summary: Both Migui and Daniel have explained that the time dependent wave function is always expressed in terms of e^(iwt), which is an imaginary exponential. The reason for this is that it is aperiodical, which makes it a good function to work with. Furthermore, mathematicians often choose easy functions to work with, and the imaginary exponential is a very easy function to work with. Lastly, Migui said that physics is the easy part of maths, and that's why they use the exponential. Merry Christmas everyone!
somy
Hi there.
We always put the time dependent part of the wave functions as e^(iwt).
Of course there is a reason! but I don't know it.
Can you help me?
Thanks in advance.
Somy :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
This is due two reasons:

1) The imaginary exponential is a periodical function

[tex] e^{iz} = \cos(z) + i \sin(z)[/tex]

and

2) It is a very good function to work with it. So physicists, who are very intelligent people, try to use easy functions, and it is more easy to work with and exponential rather than trigonometric ones.

Maths are the easy part of physics, that's why we try to use the more simplest things to work with.

Happy new year !

Last edited:
somy said:
Hi there.
We always put the time dependent part of the wave functions as e^(iwt).
Of course there is a reason! but I don't know it.
Can you help me?
Thanks in advance.
Somy :smile:

To add to what Migui has said,i'm sure you know that the coordinate part of the wavefunctions is put under the form of complex exponentials as well:
[tex] \exp(i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}) [/tex]

Daniel.

PS.Migui has given u a simple nontechnical explanation.There's much more behind an explanantion for this fact.To give you a hint:distributions and Fourier transformations.

Of course the main reason that is used, is because it is the solution to the governing partial differential equation.

Yap,Integral,but think about the 1D wave equation:

[tex] \frac{\partial^{2}u(x,t)}{\partial x^{2}}=\frac{1}{v^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}u(x,t)}{\partial t^{2}} [/tex]

Solve it and tell me whether the result contains complex exponentials.

Daniel.

Looks to me like [tex] u(t) = e^{ivt}[/tex] is a solution to the time equation. What am I missing?

The point?

First of all,your solution is wrong wrt dimensions.Exponential of a meter is kinda hard to swallow.Even complex. :yuck:

That equation (1D wave eq.posted above) is a typical example of the fact that the method of variable separation reduces the number of solutions,and even affects the physically acceptable solutions.In this specific example,it selects the periodic (sine/cosine) waves propagating along the "x" axis.Both regressive and progressive.
I'm sure you still remember (and u still have time to show it in 2004 :tongue2: ) 2 facts:
1)The 1D wave equation admits nonperiodical solutions.
2)The method of variable separation works best in the case that the solution of the equation is unique,working hand in hand with initial conditions,boundary conditions and Fourier representations.Here,uniqueness suffers from inexistance.

Daniel.

PS.Do you remember the solution and how to get it?

In an unbounded domain, the general solution is (let's stick to 1D and use Kurt's notation)
[tex]u(x,t)=f_{\rm f}(x-vt)+f_{\rm b}(x+vt)[/tex]
where the f's are arbitrary functions. A fun demonstration is to hit a clothesline sharply with your fist and watch the wave impulse (the f) race away without changing shape, rebound off the end and come back. So why do we always end up using [itex]e^{\pm i\omega t}[/itex]? Or to put it terms of physical objects: why are these arbitrary functions appropriate for the clothesline but not for say a guitar string? This is indeed a very good question; one that bothered me a lot when I learned it. As Kurt said, it is partly to do with the great mathematical tool called Fourier analysis. But the convenience or not of using harmonic functions also has to do with whether the length of the wave shape f is short or long with respect to the length of the 1D domain. A third reason is that if you depart slightly from the wave equation (say v is a function of the wavelength), then the general solution given above is not very helpful.

So are you trying to say that if it isn't physical it isn't a solution?

Humm...

Thanks all,
But I still didn't get the answer!
Well, I know that they tell us we use this function because of simplicity, but I want to know some deeper mathematical points. dextercioby told me about the Fourier transfer, but I really coudn't find the relation between these.
Can you give me something more?
Thanks in advance.
Somy

1. What is an electromagnetic wave function?

An electromagnetic wave function is a mathematical representation of the behavior and interactions of electromagnetic waves. It describes the amplitude, frequency, and phase of an electromagnetic wave at a given point in space and time.

2. How does an electromagnetic wave function differ from a regular wave function?

An electromagnetic wave function specifically describes the properties of electromagnetic waves, whereas a regular wave function can describe a variety of different types of waves, such as sound waves or water waves.

3. How is an electromagnetic wave function used in science and technology?

An electromagnetic wave function is used in many areas of science and technology, including telecommunications, radar and satellite systems, and medical imaging. It allows us to understand and manipulate electromagnetic waves for various purposes.

4. Can you give an example of an electromagnetic wave function in action?

One example of an electromagnetic wave function in action is in the production of radio waves. The electromagnetic wave function is used to describe the properties of the radio waves, such as their frequency and amplitude, which are then transmitted through space to carry information.

5. How do changes in the electromagnetic wave function affect the properties of electromagnetic waves?

Changes in the electromagnetic wave function can affect the properties of electromagnetic waves, such as their amplitude, frequency, and polarization. These changes can be caused by factors such as the medium through which the wave is traveling or external influences like magnetic fields.