Indicial equation to Legendre's equation

• Thread starter meteorologist1
  • Start date
In summary, to find the indicial equation and indices relative to any regular singular point of the Legendre equation, start by comparing it to the standard form of the Laplace equation for the first kind Gauss hypergeometric series and extract the indices. Then, consult the website of Wolfram for more details, especially on the irregular solution and the points in the complex plane where the latter is not valid. Next, assume a series solution and plug it into the equation to collect powers. Use this to get a recursive relation for the coefficients. The "singular points" are where the leading coefficient, 1-z^2 = 0, which are z=1 and z=-1. To find the "indicial" equation, try solutions of
meteorologist1
Could someone show me how to find the indicial equation and the indicies relative to any regular singular point of the Legendre equation:

(1 - z^2)w'' - 2zw' + kw = 0

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Compare it to the standard form of the Laplace equation for the first kind Gauss hypergeometric series and extract the indices.Consult the website of wolfram for more details especially on the irregular solution and the points in the complex plane where the latter is not valid.

Daniel.

Assume a series solution:

[tex]w(z)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nz^n[/tex]

plug it into the equation, collect powers. Note that the coefficient of each power must vanish. Use this to get a recursive relation for the coefficients.

The "singular points" are where the leading coefficient, 1- z2= 0: z= 1 and z= -1.

To find the "indicial" equation, try solutions of the form [itex]\Sigma a_n (z-1)^{n+c}[/itex] and [itex]\Sigma a_n(z+1)^{n+c}[/itex]. Gather the lowest power and determine c so that a0 is NOT 0. (That's the "indicial equation" and those values of c are the "indices".

Well, me too:

According to Rainville & Bedient, need to consider the series in the form:

[tex]w(z)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nz^{n+c}[/tex]

If I then plug this into the ODE, I get:

[tex]a_n=\frac{n^2-5n+4cn-7c+6-k}{n^2+2cn-n+c^2-c} a_{n-2}[/tex]

with:
[tex]n\geq 2[/tex]

(first two terms arbitrary)
Need to check this though.

For the n=0 term however, I get the following indicial equation:

[tex] c^2-c=0 [/tex]

or c=0,1

Need to verify this and also back-substitute the resulting solution for confidence in my opinion.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy, using your method, I get what saltydog got: c (c - 1) = 0. So I'm confident that that's the indicial equation for Legendre. Thanks.

I think my above statements are not correct.

Rather: To solve an equation "about the point x0" means to obtain solutions expressed in terms of powers of (x-xo).

Thus for:

[tex] (1-x^2)y^{''}-2xy^{'}+ky=0 [/tex]

and an solution is desired about the point x0=1, make the substitution v=x-1 and thus obtain:

[tex] (2v-v^2)y^{''}-2(v-1)y^{'}+ky=0 [/tex]

Really, I think if the indicial equation for a solution about the point xo=1 is desired, it should be determined from the equation above in v. I'm not sure but how about if this is for your work in school and you find out, you report it back here?

Thanks,
Salty

Yes, this is problem I'm doing for school. I will report you back the solution.

I determined the generating function about arbitrary point x0 for this ODE in terms of power series:

[tex]w(z)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n(z+x_0)^n}[/tex]

This is needed if a plot outside of (-1,1) is desired since the power series converges within a radius only up to the closest singularity.

Since this ODE has singularities at x=-1 and x=1, it's no supprise that the plots (see attached graph) have asymptotes at these values. I selected arbitrary values for the constants a0, a1, and k to generate the plots.

[tex]
a_n=\frac{n^2-3n+2-k}{(1-x_0^2)(n^2-n)} a_{n-2}+

\frac{2x_0(n^2-2n+1)}{(1-x_0^2)(n^2-n)} a_{n-1}
[/tex]

Attachments

• dif2.JPG
    dif2.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 727
Last edited:

What is an indicial equation in relation to Legendre's equation?

An indicial equation is a type of differential equation that is used to find the solutions to Legendre's equation, which is a second-order differential equation commonly used in physics and engineering.

What is the significance of the indicial equation in solving Legendre's equation?

The indicial equation helps determine the form of the solutions to Legendre's equation, which are known as Legendre polynomials. These polynomials play a crucial role in many areas of mathematics and physics, including solving boundary value problems and expressing spherical harmonics.

How is the indicial equation solved?

The indicial equation is solved by substituting a series solution into Legendre's equation and equating coefficients of like powers. This process leads to a recurrence relation that can be used to find the coefficients of the series solution, and ultimately, the solution to the indicial equation.

What are the possible solutions to the indicial equation?

The indicial equation can have two types of solutions: regular and singular. A regular solution is one that is finite at the point where the equation is being solved, while a singular solution is one that becomes infinite at that point.

How is the indicial equation related to other types of differential equations?

The indicial equation is a special case of the more general Frobenius method, which is used to find series solutions to linear differential equations. By using the Frobenius method, the indicial equation can be extended to solve other types of differential equations beyond Legendre's equation.