Electric field inside a void in a conductor?

In summary, the field inside a conductor and inside any voids is said to be zero. While there are proofs for the field inside a conductor, there is no solid proof for the field inside a void in a conductor. Superconductors may challenge the zero field assumption and future developments in nanotechnology may further complicate this concept.
Hassan2
Hi everyone,

The field inside a conductor and also inside any voids in a said to be zero. I'm convinced with the available proofs for the field inside a conductor. However, I am not aware of any solid proof for the field inside a void in a conductor. Would you please share your knowledge on this topic?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hassan2 said:
Hi everyone,

The field inside a conductor and also inside any voids in a said to be zero. I'm convinced with the available proofs for the field inside a conductor. However, I am not aware of any solid proof for the field inside a void in a conductor. Would you please share your knowledge on this topic?

Thanks.

There's no such thing as an unconditionally perfect conductor. The zero field assumption is only approximate. It will be even more suspect when science furthers develops nanotechnology, rendering these approximations as a quaint symbol of the time when people didn't need to care about it.

If I have a spherical shell with plus q charge on it, the E field is zero inside because there is no enclosed charge so it is zero by Gauss's Law.
no perfect conductors, what about superconductors?

cragar said:
If I have a spherical shell with plus q charge on it, the E field is zero inside because there is no enclosed charge so it is zero by Gauss's Law.
no perfect conductors, what about superconductors?

That's based on the symmetry of the shell. For an arbitrary geometry we need another approach.

I can assure you that the electric field inside a void in a conductor is indeed zero. This can be explained by the fact that a conductor is a material that allows for the free movement of electrons. In the absence of any external electric field, the charges in a conductor will redistribute themselves in such a way that the net electric field inside the conductor is zero. This redistribution of charges also applies to any voids or empty spaces within the conductor. Therefore, the electric field inside a void in a conductor will also be zero. This concept is known as the "Faraday cage effect" and has been experimentally proven numerous times. I hope this explanation helps to clarify any doubts you may have.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force exerted on a charged particle within a given space. It is represented by arrows that point in the direction of the force.

2. What is a void in a conductor?

A void in a conductor refers to an empty space or cavity within a material that is a good conductor of electricity. This can occur due to impurities or imperfections in the material.

3. Is there an electric field inside a void in a conductor?

No, there is no electric field inside a void in a conductor. This is because electric fields can only exist in the presence of charges, and a void in a conductor is an area without any charges.

4. Why is there no electric field inside a void in a conductor?

This is due to the principle of electrostatic shielding, where charges within a conductor will redistribute themselves in a way that cancels out any external electric field. As a void in a conductor does not have any charges, there is no electric field present.

5. Can an electric field exist outside of a conductor?

Yes, an electric field can exist outside of a conductor. This is because a conductor only shields electric fields within its surface, and charges can still exist and create an electric field outside of the conductor.