Orbiting Planet Homework: Deriving Formula for Moon's Orbit Period

• Thread starter ahrog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planet
In summary, the period of a moon's orbit is dependent only on the mass of the planet and the radius of the moon's orbit. The only variables in the final answer should be the mass of the planet and the radius of the orbit. All other values should be constants.
ahrog

Homework Statement

When a moon orbits a planet, it can be shown that the period of the moon's orbit depends only on the mass of the planet and the radius of the moon's orbit.
a) Draw and label a diagram to illustrate the variables.
b) Derive a formula for the period of a moon's orbit. The only variables in the final answer should be the mass of the planet and the radius of the orbit. All other values should be constants.

Homework Equations

Fg= Gm1m2/r^2
g=Gm1/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I don't really understand how to make formula's to get an answer like this. I figure that the variables in the formula would be the period of orbit, mass and radius. The constants would probably be pi and G.

Could someone give me a hint at how to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's orbiting then you know that centrifugal is balanced by gravitational attraction.

You also know that v = ωr = 2πf*r = 2πr/T

I don't get it still. How do I derive a formula out of that?

F=ma right? What else does F equal? What is the formula for Force of gravity?

Set them equal to each other and let's see what happens.

Fg= Gm1m2/r^2...

ahrog said:
Fg= Gm1m2/r^2...

Yep... and? Like I said set it equal to ma and let's see what happens.

[tex]m_{moon}a=\frac{GM_{planet}m_{moon}}{r^2}[/tex]

now what?

So I cancel out the two moons and get a=GM/r^2.

Yes. And when a "particle" is experiencing radial acceleration, how else can a be written?

v^2/r=GM/r^2 And then if I cancel out the 2 r's I would get v^2=Gm/r...

Would I use v=d/t here? If so, then for (d/t)^2=GM/r^2 what would cancel out the d?

You are very close, but not exactly. Instead of distance we should use something else... what is the distance called when we are talking about a circle?

Circumference, which is 2pir?

Then (2pir/t)^2=GM/r^2
Which would end up as

2pir^3/Gm=T^2

Would that be right?

[tex](\frac{2\pi r}{T})^2=\frac{2^2*\pi^2*r^2}{T^2}=\frac{GM}{r}[/tex]

Don't forget to square everything in the parentheses. And then you've got it.

Thank you sooo much for going through this with me C: I really appreciate it

No probs :wink:

FAQ: Orbiting Planet Homework: Deriving Formula for Moon's Orbit Period

1. What is the purpose of deriving a formula for the moon's orbit period?

The purpose of deriving a formula for the moon's orbit period is to better understand the mathematical relationship between the moon's orbit and its period. This formula can also be used to accurately predict the moon's position in the sky and its orbital period.

2. How is the formula for the moon's orbit period derived?

The formula for the moon's orbit period is derived using Kepler's third law of planetary motion, which states that the square of a planet's orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. By applying this law to the moon's orbit around the Earth, we can derive a formula for its orbital period.

3. What factors affect the moon's orbit period?

The main factor that affects the moon's orbit period is its distance from the Earth, or its semi-major axis. The moon's orbit is also affected by the gravitational pull of other bodies in the solar system, but these effects are relatively small compared to the distance from the Earth.

4. How accurate is the derived formula for the moon's orbit period?

The derived formula for the moon's orbit period is quite accurate, with only a small margin of error. However, it is important to note that this formula is based on ideal conditions and does not take into account external factors such as the moon's elliptical orbit and the influence of other celestial bodies. Therefore, it should be used as a general guide rather than an exact measurement.

5. Can the derived formula be used for other orbiting planets?

Yes, the derived formula for the moon's orbit period can be used for other orbiting planets as long as the necessary variables are adjusted accordingly. However, it is important to note that this formula is specifically derived for the moon's orbit around the Earth, so it may not be as accurate for other planetary systems.