Calculating DS - Multivariable calculus help

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the dS vector and ways to calculate it. The participants discussed the difference between an infinitesimal surface area vector and a scalar field, and how to evaluate surface integrals using techniques such as the divergence theorem and symmetries of the vector field. They also mentioned that experience and practice are key in being able to evaluate these integrals. Specific examples, such as those involving polar coordinates, were provided as well.
Beautiful
I'm having trouble calculating the dS vector. I know there are multiple ways to find dS but can anyone explain them to me. Or redirect me to a site that can help me with this. I've looked in my book and I've found some info on it but I want additional sources that could maybe explain them a little better.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think one of my biggest issues with finding the dS vector has been that I've done it in so many ways so far and getting confused and in turn making too many mistakes. So I'm basically looking for a overview of all the ways it can be calculated (If that sort of thing exists).

Thank you

I'm guessing by dS you mean the infinitessimal surface area vector? As it is an infinitessimal vector, it doesn't really have a calculated value since it should go to 0 in the appropriate limit. So I think you will have to be more specific on what you're asking.

Yeah I think you are referring to something different. It arises when we start dealing with surface integrals. I think it's usually the perpendicular vector to a surface. And there are special cases that allow for shortcuts when working through complex problems.

The attachment is of a example problem. This would be the type of dS vector I am referring to.

:smile:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 436
Are you referring to an integral like this:

$$\iint_S \vec{A}\cdot d\vec{S}$$

I am referring to the ##d\vec{S}## found in that expression. It's an infinitesimal vector, like dx when we are integrating:

$$\int f(x)dx$$

As ##d\vec{S}## is an infinitesimal vector, there's no way to really calculate a "value" for this vector itself, but there are certainly ways to help you evaluate the surface integral itself. So perhaps you are asking about ways to evaluate vector surface integrals in general?

Hmm apparently so. Would "ways to evaluate vector surface integrals in general" include problems involving The flux, Stokes' thm, divergence thm...etc

Certainly. In your previous picture, for example, it seems to me that one wants to use the 2-dimensional divergence theorem to convert that surface integral into a line integral, which might be easier:

$$\iint_S (\nabla\cdot\vec{F})dA=\oint_C \vec{F}\cdot\hat{n} dl$$

But I'm confused on why the picture has a vector sign on the dS. In that case the divergence of a vector field is a scalar field, and should just be integrated over a surface, not a surface vector...hmmmm... maybe it's a typo?

Possibly, I found a random example online. Just to confirm we are referring to the same type of dS vector.

Well here is another example of a question (which I have the solution to). From my understanding there is a special case that allows you to quickly identify the dS as:
dS=R("region") dzdΘ
And R would be equal to 2 in this case

Examples like these give me problems. I have no idea where this special case came from. Is there a list somewhere where I can find all the possible ways the dS vector can be found?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Thanks for the help Matterwave. I really appreciate it

I don't think you will find such a list of possible ways to reduce a surface integral into a nicer form. There are just too many potential integrals. Mostly you will have to work off of experience.

There's always nice reductions that occur if the vector field you are integrating over has symmetries with respect to the surface. For example, if the vector field is radially directed, and the surface is a sphere, then the vector field will always be parallel (or anti-parallel) with the dS vector. In this case, one can remove the dot product. Alternatively, if the vector field is always perpendicular with the surface, you know the surface integral is 0. If the surface is a closed surface, then you can probably use the divergence theorem to turn it into a volume integral, or if the surface is not a closed surface, perhaps use the divergence theorem to turn it into a line integral.

All of this basically comes with experience and practicing problems. Even for regular integrals, you just need some experience in how to evaluate them.

Actually the vast majority of integrals will be impossible to do analytically using elementary methods, but the integrals you see from courses or lectures should be able to be evaluated.

As far as your attached thumbnail goes, there's no need for vectors in that problem, so you wouldn't be dealing with a dS vector, you would be dealing with a dA infinitesimal area.

In this case, the volume would be 3*A where A is the area of the circle. Since the density doesn't depend on z, you can basically turn the volume integral into a surface integral over A multiplied by 3.

If you are asking why is dA=rdzdθ, then this is the area element in polar coordinates.

For those, you can certainly look up, for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindrical_coordinates
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinates

Likes 1 person

1. How do you calculate the directional derivative?

The directional derivative is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient vector and the unit vector in the direction of interest.

2. What is the purpose of calculating a double or triple integral?

Double and triple integrals are used to find the volume, area, or mass of an object or region in a multi-dimensional space.

3. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while a total derivative measures the total rate of change of a function with respect to all of its variables.

4. How do you determine the critical points of a multivariable function?

The critical points of a multivariable function can be found by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and setting them equal to zero. The resulting system of equations can then be solved to find the critical points.

5. What is the significance of the Hessian matrix in multivariable calculus?

The Hessian matrix is used to determine the nature of critical points in a multivariable function. A positive definite Hessian matrix indicates a minimum point, a negative definite matrix indicates a maximum point, and a matrix with both positive and negative eigenvalues indicates a saddle point.