Register to reply

Spatial and temporal periods and periodic functions

by Jhenrique
Tags: functions, periodic, periods, spatial, temporal
Share this thread:
Jhenrique
Apr19-14, 08:18 PM
P: 686
A periodic function is one that ##f(\theta) = f(\theta + nT)##, by definition. However, the argument ##\theta## can be function of space and time ( ##\theta(x, t)## ), so exist 2 lines of development, one spatial and other temporal: $$f(\theta) = f(kx + \varphi) = f(2 \pi \xi x + \varphi) = f\left(\frac{2 \pi x}{\lambda} + \varphi \right)$$ $$f(\theta) = f(\omega t + \varphi) = f(2 \pi \nu t + \varphi) = f\left(\frac{2 \pi t}{T} + \varphi \right)$$ or the both together: $$f(\theta) = f(kx + \omega t + \varphi) = f(2 \pi \xi x + 2 \pi \nu t + \varphi) = f\left(\frac{2 \pi x}{\lambda} + \frac{2 \pi t}{T} + \varphi \right)$$ so, becomes obvius that ##\lambda## is the analogus of ##T##, thus the correct wound't be say that a periodic function is one that ##f(\theta) = f(\theta + nT + m\lambda)## ?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
gopher_p
Apr19-14, 09:38 PM
P: 435
Quote Quote by Jhenrique View Post
A periodic function is one that ##f(\theta) = f(\theta + nT)##, by definition. However, the argument ##\theta## can be function of space and time ( ##\theta(x, t)## ), so exist 2 lines of development, one spatial and other temporal: $$f(\theta) = f(kx + \varphi) = f(2 \pi \xi x + \varphi) = f\left(\frac{2 \pi x}{\lambda} + \varphi \right)$$ $$f(\theta) = f(\omega t + \varphi) = f(2 \pi \nu t + \varphi) = f\left(\frac{2 \pi t}{T} + \varphi \right)$$ or the both together: $$f(\theta) = f(kx + \omega t + \varphi) = f(2 \pi \xi x + 2 \pi \nu t + \varphi) = f\left(\frac{2 \pi x}{\lambda} + \frac{2 \pi t}{T} + \varphi \right)$$ so, becomes obvius that ##\lambda## is the analogus of ##T##, thus the correct wound't be say that a periodic function is one that ##f(\theta) = f(\theta + nT + m\lambda)## ?
If you want to generalize the notion of a periodic function of a single variable to a multivariable situation, the most natural way to do that is to say that ##f:\mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^m## is periodic with period ##\vec{T}\in\mathbb{R}^n## iff ##f(\vec{x})=f(\vec{x}+n\vec{T})## for all ##\vec{x}\in\mathbb{R}^n## and ##n\in\mathbb{Z}##; i.e. the period is a vector/##n##-tuple rather than a scalar. Unlike the single variable case, the mutivariate case can have multiple linearly independent periods, although we wouldn't necessitate that to be true. There are some fun theorems that can be proven regarding the number of ##\mathbb{Q}##-linearly independent periods that a continuous function can have.
Jhenrique
Apr20-14, 03:24 PM
P: 686
happens that when I ploted in the geogebra the wave ##f(\theta(x,t)) = \cos(kx - wt)## happend that ##f(\theta) = f(\theta + m \lambda)## but ##f(\theta) \neq f(\theta + n T)## Why???

gopher_p
Apr20-14, 08:33 PM
P: 435
Spatial and temporal periods and periodic functions

Quote Quote by Jhenrique View Post
happens that when I ploted in the geogebra the wave ##f(\theta(x,t)) = \cos(kx - wt)## happend that ##f(\theta) = f(\theta + m \lambda)## but ##f(\theta) \neq f(\theta + n T)## Why???
That's weird. When I plot ##f(\Phi(\sigma,\tau)) = \cos(\alpha\sigma - \beta\tau)## in GnuPlot, I get both ##f(\Phi)=f(\Phi+m\nu)## and ##f(\Phi)=f(\Phi+n\mu)##.

Register to reply