Physics Forums: History & Interesting Facts

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the addition of a history page to Physics Forums, with the possibility of adding an entry on the meaning of forum medals. The conversation also includes a member working on a library article and seeking approval before submitting it. The final response praises the article and thanks the member for their help.
Over the years we've gotten many questions regarding the technicals and history of Physics Forums. With the help of the library we now have setup a history page.
https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=83

I'm sure to add on to it as I remember things. If anyone has a story or something significant that I forgot, please let me know and I'll add it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps an entry on Physics forums medals, and what they mean would be useful, since the question has come up on several occasions.

I don't know if that really fits well into this topic though. Hmm. Maybe I'll start one an article on it and see how people respond.

I think a lot of people have questions about that. Some people think it's automatic after a certain number of posts, and it's not, it's about knowledge and the willingness to help.

Evo said:
I think a lot of people have questions about that. Some people think it's automatic after a certain number of posts, and it's not, it's about knowledge and the willingness to help.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think this is because a lot of other web forums award members based on post counts. I'm working on a library article for this. Give me a half hour and I should have it done.

OK! You'll find my article in the library moderation queue. Tell me what you think before I approve it, just to make sure their are no errors.

1. What is the purpose of "Physics Forums: History & Interesting Facts" on the website?

The purpose of "Physics Forums: History & Interesting Facts" is to provide a space for users to discuss and learn about the history of physics, as well as interesting and noteworthy facts related to the subject. This forum allows for the sharing of knowledge and insights about the development of physics as a field and the impact it has had on society.

2. Are there any notable historical figures or events discussed on the forum?

Yes, there are many notable historical figures and events discussed on the forum. These may include famous physicists such as Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton, important discoveries such as the theory of relativity, and significant moments in the history of physics, such as the development of quantum mechanics.

3. Can users contribute their own interesting facts or historical information on the forum?

Yes, users are encouraged to contribute their own interesting facts and historical information on the forum. This can be done by starting a new thread or adding to existing discussions. By sharing their knowledge and insights, users can help to expand and enrich the forum for others.

4. Is there a specific format or style for posting on the forum?

There is no specific format or style required for posting on the forum. However, it is recommended to use proper grammar and spelling, and to provide sources for any information being shared. This ensures that the forum remains a reliable and valuable resource for all users.

5. Can non-scientists participate in discussions on the forum?

Yes, non-scientists are welcome to participate in discussions on the forum. The purpose of the forum is to promote learning and discussion about physics, and anyone with an interest in the subject is encouraged to contribute. However, it is important to keep in mind that the forum is primarily aimed at a scientific audience, so some technical knowledge may be assumed in discussions.