Science/Engineering-Business Forum Request

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter plutoisacomet
  • Start date
In summary, a member proposed creating a new Science/Engineering-Business Forum on Physics Forums, but others pointed out that existing forums such as Career Guidance could cater to similar discussions. The feasibility of creating new forums based on demand and popularity was also discussed, and concerns were raised about the potential for the proposed forum to attract primarily non-legitimate discussions.
plutoisacomet
Hey guys, I love the Physics Forum Community. I think there should be one addition to Physics Forums. I think there should be a Science/Engineering-Business Forum that allows people of Science/Engineering that also have Business/entrepreneurial interests or questions.

For example. Should I share my ideas with my company. or How do I license my product or Intellectual property. or How can I keep my small optics company competitive with Asia.

Thanks Guys

Physics news on Phys.org
The formation of any sub-forum here on PF is based on demand and popularity. We can't open a new forum each time someone thinks its a good idea. If we do, we would have a thousand different forums already by now.

As far as I can tell, we haven't had any kind of frequent discussion on this, and therefore, there isn't a strong justification to have it. Such discussion can already be discussed in either General Discussion, or maybe even Career Guidance forum.

Zz.

These thoughts could probably be discussed in career guidance.

Edit: doh! zz beat me to it!

physics girl phd said:
These thoughts could probably be discussed in career guidance.

Edit: doh! zz beat me to it!
Great minds think alike? :smile:

Evo said:
Great minds think alike? :smile:

As soon as I read the first post, my thoughts were, "How about Career Guidance?"

So, I'm a great mind too I guess!:approve:

I'm out of here!~

Last edited:
How did this go from a new forum to the ability of your great minds. Actually you have a mental quirk that allows significant attention to detail. Sorry, Career Guidance is the wrong solution genius. Don't build a wall around your intellectual city like Antoine Lavoisier because eventually you and your buddies will face the guillotine!

plutoisacomet said:
How did this go from a new forum to the ability of your great minds. Actually you have a mental quirk that allows significant attention to detail. Sorry, Career Guidance is the wrong solution genius. Don't build a wall around your intellectual city like Antoine Lavoisier because eventually you and your buddies will face the guillotine!

But they WERE a discussion regarding what you proposed, i.e. that PF already have forums that could cater to the type of discussion that you might want.

Please note that you ignored the points that I made, i.e. regarding demands and popularity, and why we can't simply have a new forum each time one is proposed. If you don't believe me, do a longer browse in this Feedback forum. You'll notice that a lot of other people have made pitches for their own favorite topics. We can't simply cater to each one of them especially when there is no indication that there will be a large number of members who'll be posting in those topic.

Condensed matter physics is the LARGEST topic in physics, and has the largest number of practicing physicists. Yet, on PF, it still doesn't get the same frequency of posting as, say, QM or SR. So even for something THAT big in practice, we can't justify it occupying a single forum all by itself, and therefore, that topic is lumped into other smaller topics.

Now, if such field as big as condensed matter does not get a forum to itself, can you see why it is hard to justify another forum on a topic that gets even less traffic on PF? It has nothing to do with "building walls" (not sure why that would even come up). It has everything to do with being practical. There's nothing here that prevents you from having such a discussion in forums that already exist. If you do not know where to post something, ask!

Zz.

plutoisacomet said:

IMO There are very few, if any, legitimate business owners/entrpenuers that post here. There would be very little honest discourse or guidance from people who are in the know or who have actually gone through the process of starting a legitimate company. I personally, would not want this sub forum simply because it will turn into a huge furball of nothing but garage startups that think they have the business model to create unlimited energy or some other form of nonsense.

plutoisacomet said:
How can I keep my small optics company competitive with Asia.

Thanks Guys

This topic would naturally go into the PhD comics... Just draw a cartoon with a guy thinking, "How can I keep my small optics company competitive with Asia?"

FredGarvin said:
IMO There are very few, if any, legitimate business owners/entrpenuers that post here.
... and those that do don't give out details -- unless their goal is to turn their small optics company into a very small optics company.

1. What is a Science/Engineering-Business Forum Request?

A Science/Engineering-Business Forum Request is a formal proposal or invitation for scientists and engineers to come together with business professionals to discuss and collaborate on potential projects or partnerships.

2. Who can attend a Science/Engineering-Business Forum?

The forum is typically open to scientists, engineers, and business professionals who have a vested interest in the proposed topics and are looking for opportunities to collaborate and innovate.

3. How is a Science/Engineering-Business Forum organized?

The forum is typically organized by a team of individuals with expertise in science, engineering, and business. They work together to develop a program, invite speakers, and create opportunities for networking and collaboration.

4. What are the benefits of attending a Science/Engineering-Business Forum?

Attending a forum allows individuals to network with like-minded professionals, learn about cutting-edge research and technology, and potentially form partnerships that can lead to innovative projects and solutions.

5. How can I submit a proposal for a Science/Engineering-Business Forum?

If you have an idea for a forum or would like to propose a topic for discussion, you can reach out to the organizing committee or submit a proposal through their designated channels. Be sure to include a clear description of your proposed topic and its relevance to the forum's theme.