Spectrometer setup to minimize absorption of reflected light

In summary, the author is working on an experiment to measure the quenching of an oxygen-sensitive dye. The excitation light is blue and the light fluoresced is red. When the author collects data, there is always a peak for blue and red, which makes it impossible to measure really the quenching in low dye concentrations. The author is thinking of using a polarizing film, but doesn't know the best setup.
caa4444
I'm working on an experiment to measure the quenching of an oxygen-sensitive dye. The excitation light is blue and the light fluoresced is red. When I collect data, there is always a peak for blue and red, which makes it impossible to measure really the quenching in low dye concentrations because the blue overlaps the small red emission. I'm thinking of using a polarizing film, but don't know the best setup.

Below is the current setup:

[film w/ dye] — |glass wall| — spectrometer & blue light source

Can you guys tell me how to minimize the pickup of blue light without affecting red light pickup?

Science news on Phys.org
I use filters to reject unwanted parts of the spectrum when I do astrophotography. Do you not have any filters?

a filter wouldn't help because I am concerned with the overlap of reflected and fluoresced light, and a filter wouldn't be able to distinguish between them

If the spectrum of the blue peak is overlapping the spectrum of the red peak, then I don't think you can do much with filters. There are edge pass filters that can block a desired part of the spectrum. Are you using a commercial spectrometer?

It might be worth checking if the blue peak and red peak have different polarizations; then you could use polarizers to filter the desired spectrum out.

caa4444 said:
a filter wouldn't help because I am concerned with the overlap of reflected and fluoresced light, and a filter wouldn't be able to distinguish between them

Ah ok I see the issue now. Well, I can't help with the setup, but have you considered recording the spectrum of the reflected blue light and digitally subtracting it from the spectrum of the whole experiment? I do something similar in astrophotography to get dark current and electronic bias removed from my images. I'm assuming that you are using a CCD or something similar to record the spectrum, is that correct?

yes. I am using the oceanoptics jaz

caa4444 said:
yes. I am using the oceanoptics jaz

Well, you could try the method I suggested. I'm not sure if a polarizer would filter the reflected light out or just reduce both the reflected and emitted light.

^i'd do that if I could, but I can't reliably get just the blue light because i'd have to move the spectrometer and that changes the intensity.

I'm just trying to get data for a stern-volmer plot, so if there's a way to do that with just this setup, that'd be great

1. How do I set up a spectrometer to minimize absorption of reflected light?

To minimize absorption of reflected light, first make sure the spectrometer is properly calibrated and aligned. Then, use a reflective material or coating on the internal components of the spectrometer to reduce absorption. Additionally, adjusting the angle of incidence of the light can also help minimize absorption.

2. What is the purpose of minimizing absorption of reflected light in spectrometer setup?

Minimizing absorption of reflected light helps ensure accurate and precise measurements by reducing the amount of light that is lost or absorbed by the spectrometer's internal components. This can improve the sensitivity and reliability of the readings.

3. How can I determine the effectiveness of my spectrometer's setup in minimizing absorption of reflected light?

One way to determine the effectiveness is by conducting a baseline measurement with a known sample and then repeating the measurement with the same sample after making adjustments to the spectrometer's setup. The difference in readings can indicate the effectiveness of the setup in minimizing absorption of reflected light.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to minimizing absorption of reflected light in spectrometer setup?

While minimizing absorption of reflected light can improve the accuracy of measurements, it may also reduce the amount of light that reaches the detector. This could potentially decrease the signal-to-noise ratio and result in less precise measurements. It is important to strike a balance between minimizing absorption and maintaining a sufficient amount of light for accurate readings.

5. Are there any specific techniques or tools that can help with minimizing absorption of reflected light in spectrometer setup?

There are various techniques and tools that can aid in minimizing absorption of reflected light, such as using anti-reflective coatings, optimizing the angle of incidence, and using polarizers or filters. Some spectrometer manufacturers may also provide specific instructions or tools for minimizing absorption in their devices.