Understanding the Science of Compressed Water: A Deep Dive with Bob

In summary, the conversation discusses the compressibility of water and the confusion surrounding its behavior at high pressures. The speaker, Bob, has always been taught that water cannot be compressed, but has been informed otherwise. They also mention using water jet cutting at high pressures and the concept of latent heat. The other person in the conversation explains that while for simplicity's sake water is often assumed to be incompressible, it is in fact compressible and can gain heat when compressed. The freezing point of water at a certain pressure depends on its location on the phase diagram. This leads to a discussion about the concept of latent heat and its relation to phase transition.
capnahab
Sirs, I have always understood that water cannot be compressed but I have been informed by competent people that it can. We use water jet cutting at 60KPSI and I am told that this water compresses by 13%. While I can accept this I do not understand why at app. 150K PSI the water freezes and that pressure is the limit. It seems to me that compressed water should gain heat and not get colder. Would you gentlemen/gentlewomen please explain? Old science nut, Bob

Physics news on Phys.org
For many purposes, you assume water to be incompressible just to simplify problems, but it is actually compressible.

And yes, if you compress it it heats up, but you can then let it cool back down. Whether it freezes or not at a certain temperature and pressure depends on where that is on the phase diagram: http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/phase.html

Thank you for the phase diagram. They always told me it was latent heat but I could never understand latent heat. I always thought that is was phase transistion. Too many words do decscribe the same thing.

1. What is liquid water?

Liquid water is a common form of water that exists at temperatures between 0°C and 100°C. It is composed of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, bonded together by covalent bonds.

2. How is liquid water different from other forms of water?

Liquid water is different from other forms of water such as solid ice or gaseous water vapor because of its unique physical and chemical properties. It has a higher density than ice and is able to flow and take the shape of its container, unlike water vapor.

3. How does liquid water form?

Liquid water is formed when the temperature of water molecules reaches its melting point, which is at 0°C. This causes the molecules to gain enough energy to break the hydrogen bonds holding them together, resulting in a liquid state.

4. What are the uses of liquid water?

Liquid water is essential for all living organisms as it is necessary for various biological processes. It is also used for drinking, cooking, cleaning, and various industrial processes such as power generation and manufacturing.

5. How can I help with liquid water conservation?

There are several ways to help with liquid water conservation, such as reducing water usage, fixing leaks, and using water-efficient appliances. Additionally, supporting organizations and initiatives that promote sustainable water management and conservation can also make a difference.