Does f(x) = c Imply That f'(x) = 0?

• Thread starter danne89
  • Start date
In summary: If you prefer, you could write this as a function of three variables:(\Delta)(p,v,q) = p(q+v) - p(q)so that \Delta(p,v,q) = (\Delta_v p)(q).In any case, the "v" is often suppressed when it's clear from context, so that people just write \Delta p instead of \Delta_v p.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the derivative of a constant function, f(x) = c, where c is a constant. The derivative of a constant function is always equal to 0, as shown through various algebraic and non-standard
danne89
f(x) = c => f'(x) = 0 ??

Hi again! Now I can't understand [itex]f(x) = c\Rightarrow f'(x) = 0[/itex], where c is a constant. I think I should be undefined.
y = c
[itex]\Delta x[/itex]= c
[tex]\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \frac{c}{\Delta x}[/tex]
[tex]st(\frac{c}{\Delta x}) = Undefined [/tex]
What am I doing wrong this time?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
y=c, but [tex]\bigtriangleup{y}=c-c=0[/tex]

If f(x)=c for all x, then

[tex]f'(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(h)}{h}=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{c-c}{h}=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}0=0[/tex]

arildno said:
y=c, but [tex]\bigtriangleup{y}=c-c=0[/tex]
Arghhh! :mad: That demostrates the importance of written every stage out.

y = c
y + [itex]\Delta y[/itex] = c + c
[itex]\Delta y[/itex] = c - c = 0
[tex]\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \frac{0}{\Delta x} = 0[/tex]
Thus f'(x) = 0

Sorry, Fredrik. Haven't learned limits yet. Thanks for trying to explain.

Thanks!

Haven't learned limits yet?

Then what are you doing with the derivative? That's a lot like working with fractions before you have learned to multiply!

(Do you know the "slope" of a straight line? What's the slope of a horizontal straight line?)

I think he said in another thread that he was reading about non-standard analysis.

Sure I know that a constant function has zero slope, but I want to solve it the algebra-way.

The book I'm reading is "Elementary Calculus: An Approach Using Infinitesimals", which, as the titel states, uses infinitesimals to introduce both derivatives and integrals - before limits.

Hmm. When I think about it: [itex]\Delta y + y[/itex] can't be c + c. Then
[tex]\Delta y = c + c - c = c[/tex]
Argh!

again, [itex]y+\Delta y=c[/itex], [itex]\Delta y =0[/itex]

You have to be more carefull with algebra if you don't want to go insane (trust me)!

danne89 said:
Sure I know that a constant function has zero slope, but I want to solve it the algebra-way.

The book I'm reading is "Elementary Calculus: An Approach Using Infinitesimals", which, as the titel states, uses infinitesimals to introduce both derivatives and integrals - before limits.

And how do they actually DEFINE "infinitesmal"?

danne89 said:
Sorry, Fredrik. Haven't learned limits yet. Thanks for trying to explain.

It's a lot easier to understand derivatives if you know limits. I suggest you hit that before trying to understand the derivative of a constant.

HallsofIvy said:
And how do they actually DEFINE "infinitesmal"?
As an infinite small number (short: infinitesimal).

Why should [itex]\Delta x = c[/itex]??

I think you've totally forgotten what [itex]\Delta[/itex] usually means:

[tex](\Delta p)(q) = p(q + v) - p(q)[/tex]

For some nonzero v. (For your purposes, v should be a nonzero infinitessimal)
(And yes, I know I used unusual variable names. :tongue:)

I believe I've seen the text danne is using, it's not bad. It doesn't rigorously define infinitessimals, but normal calc textbooks don't rigorously define the real numbers either. :tongue:

In nonstandard analysis, the derivative of a standard function f is defined by:

[tex]
f'(x) = \mathrm{Std} \frac{f^*(x^*+h) - f^*(x^*)}{h}
[/tex]

whenever the right hand side is independent of your choice of nonzero infinitessimal h. "Std" means "round to the nearest real number", and the * denotes the nonstandard version of that symbol.

Note that the notion of limit, here, has been replaced with the notion of nearest standard number.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
Why should [itex]\Delta x = c[/itex]??

I think you've totally forgotten what [itex]\Delta[/itex] usually means:

[tex](\Delta p)(q) = p(q + v) - p(q)[/tex]

For some nonzero v. (For your purposes, v should be a nonzero infinitessimal)
(And yes, I know I used unusual variable names. :tongue:)
Hmm. Isn't it [itex] (\Delta p)(q) = p(q) + p(v) - p(q)[/itex].
[tex]y = f(x)[/tex]
[tex]y + \Delta y = f(x) + f(\Delta x)[/tex]
[tex]\Delta y = f(x) + f(\Delta x) - f(x) = f(\Delta x)[/tex]
And then, because f(x) = c
[tex]\Delta y = c + c - c = c[/tex]

I think you denote your std() with st() and it's called the "Standard Part" of the hyperreal (reals + infinitesimals) number.

hmmm ...isn't it (Delta p)(q) = q(p+v) - q(p) .

Oops. My mistake. I should have checked that up before bother you. :(

I think you're thinking of the more explicit notation:

[tex]
(\Delta_v p)(q) = p(q + v) - p(q)
[/tex]

What is the function F(x) = c?

The function F(x) = c is a constant function, where the output (c) is the same for every input (x).

What does f'(x) represent?

f'(x) represents the derivative of the function f(x). It represents the rate of change of the function at a specific point.

What does it mean for f'(x) to equal 0?

If f'(x) = 0, it means that the function f(x) has a horizontal tangent line at that point. This means that the rate of change at that point is 0, and the function is not increasing or decreasing.

What is the relationship between F(x) = c and f'(x) = 0?

Since F(x) = c is a constant function, its derivative f'(x) will always be equal to 0. This is because the rate of change is constant and does not change with respect to the input.

How can this information be applied in real life?

In real life, this information can be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function. If f'(x) = 0 at a specific point, it means that the function is not changing at that point, which can indicate a maximum or minimum value.