Work & Gravity: How to Lift a 5 kg Box 1 Meter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of potential energy and work done to lift a box one meter off the floor. It is mentioned that if we apply F=mg on the box, it would stay at rest, but if we want to lift it, we need to overcome the force of gravity over a distance of one meter. The total work done on the box can be obtained by calculating the work done by the force of gravity, which is equal to the box's weight multiplied by the distance lifted. The question is raised about the contribution of a little more force (F1) needed to produce acceleration in the body, and it is clarified that this can be ignored for simplicity as it gets canceled out in the end. The conversation also
ziaharipur
I am quoting a text from a web sight before my question.

"Let's assume we have a 5 kg box on the floor. Let's arbitrarily call its current potential energy zero, just to give us a reference point. If we do work to lift the box one meter off the floor, we need to overcome the force of gravity on the box (its weight) over a distance of one meter. Therefore, the work we do on the box can be obtained from:
Work=Fd =mgh=(5)(9.8)(1) =49J "

My Question here is, if you apply F=mg on the box the box will stay at rest then how it can be lifted 1 meter?
In the answer if you say that you have to apply a little more force (F1) to produce acceleration in the body then my counter question will be, This means we are not applying constant force on the body first we apply a little more force on the body to produce acceleration and then we reduce the force to mg, if this is the case then to calculate the work we first need to calculate the work done by F1 (the little more force to produce acceleration) let's call it W1 then we need to calculate the work done by the force mg let's call it W2 and the total work will be W=W1+W2. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
ziaharipur said:
I am quoting a text from a web sight before my question.

"Let's assume we have a 5 kg box on the floor. Let's arbitrarily call its current potential energy zero, just to give us a reference point. If we do work to lift the box one meter off the floor, we need to overcome the force of gravity on the box (its weight) over a distance of one meter. Therefore, the work we do on the box can be obtained from:
Work=Fd =mgh=(5)(9.8)(1) =49J "

My Question here is, if you apply F=mg on the box the box will stay at rest then how it can be lifted 1 meter?
In the answer if you say that you have to apply a little more force (F1) to produce acceleration in the body then my counter question will be, This means we are not applying constant force on the body first we apply a little more force on the body to produce acceleration and then we reduce the force to mg, if this is the case then to calculate the work we first need to calculate the work done by F1 (the little more force to produce acceleration) let's call it W1 then we need to calculate the work done by the force mg let's call it W2 and the total work will be W=W1+W2. Am I right?

Sure, but in this problem we are just ignoring the contribution from F1 for simplicity, since it is small (i.e. you spend a very small amount of time accelerating the box up to the chosen constant speed at which you're going to lift it). EDIT: actually it gets canceled out by the little bit of deceleration at the end that you use to bring the box to a stop once you've reached the final height. You see, if the box goes from 0 to h, and is at rest at the start and the end, then its change in energy HAS TO be mgh, which means the work done in the end has to be mgh. That's why you can safely ignore the acceleration and deceleration parts, because you know that in the end the work done during those two phases must cancel each other out.

1. How does gravity affect lifting a 5 kg box?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. When lifting a 5 kg box, the force of gravity acts on the box, making it feel heavier and harder to lift.

2. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for work is work = force x distance. In the case of lifting a 5 kg box 1 meter, the force would be equal to the weight of the box (5 kg x 9.8 m/s² = 49 N) and the distance would be 1 meter. Therefore, the work would be equal to 49 joules.

3. How much work is required to lift a 5 kg box 1 meter?

The amount of work required to lift a 5 kg box 1 meter would be equal to 49 joules, as calculated using the formula work = force x distance.

4. How does the weight of the box affect the amount of work needed to lift it?

The weight of the box directly affects the amount of work needed to lift it. A heavier box would require more work to lift it the same distance compared to a lighter box. This is because the force of gravity is stronger on heavier objects, making them more difficult to lift.

5. Is there a difference in the amount of work required to lift a 5 kg box from the ground compared to lifting it from a table?

Yes, there is a difference in the amount of work required to lift a 5 kg box from the ground compared to lifting it from a table. This is because when lifting from the ground, the starting point is at a lower elevation, so the distance the box needs to be lifted is greater, resulting in more work being done. When lifting from a table, the starting point is already at a higher elevation, so less work is required.