Collision at constant velocity

In summary: It's possible that your brain is interpreting the motion of the book as if it were accelerating even though it's not. If a dropped book collides with a table they will exert forces on each other, but not because they have 'acceleration'.
R Power
According to Sir Newton, F = ma
i.e if a body needs to be accelerated it requires some force basically.
or in reverse can we say that if a body needs to exert some force, it must have some acceleration.??

then does it means a body moving with constant vel can't exert force on other body.?

Physics news on Phys.org
R Power said:
According to Sir Newton, F = ma
i.e if a body needs to be accelerated it requires some force basically.
Newton's 2nd law says: In order to accelerate, a body must have a net force on it.
or in reverse can we say that if a body needs to exert some force, it must have some acceleration.??
No, that doesn't follow. Hold a book in your hand. Is your hand exerting a force? Is your hand accelerating?
then does it means a body moving with constant vel can't exert force on other body.?
When the moving body collides with something, the force of the collision will change its velocity.

Last edited:
BTW the first and second law are all same, f=ma incporporates both laws, i never understood why two laws were made

No, that doesn't follow. Hold a book in your hand. Is your hand exerting a force? Is your hand accelerating?

Yes Sir
Book is applying force on my hand and it is accelerating downwards at 10 m/s2 and my hand is applying force to book and accelerating at -10 , so as book appears to be at rest on my hand.
When i hold the book i found that:
Actually hand accelerates relative to book and book accelerates relative to hand simultaneously but for an observer outside of hand-book system like a man standing near me, both are at rest.

Last edited:
R Power said:
BTW the first and second law are all same, f=ma incporporates both laws, i never understood why two laws were made
You can think of the first law as defining an inertial frame of reference.

R Power said:
Yes Sir
Book is applying force on my hand and it is accelerating downwards at 10 m/s2 and my hand is applying force to book and accelerating at -10 , so as book appears to be at rest on my hand.
When i hold the book i found that:
Actually hand accelerates relative to book and book accelerates relative to hand simultaneously but for an observer outside of hand-book system like a man standing near me, both are at rest.
Nope. If the book is at rest in your hand, it's not accelerating. (Unless you are in free fall.) Just because the 'acceleration due to gravity' is 10 m/s2 doesn't mean that everything is accelerating at that rate. That would only be the case if gravity were the only force acting on the book.

Nope. If the book is at rest in your hand, it's not accelerating.

No sir,
U don't see book not accelerating doesn't mean it's not accelerating, u are outside of book-hand system.
Consider you are a book. You are freely falling, so you will experience acceleration(say relative to something), now suddenly you see a book down in your way which is accelerating exactly at negative rate of yours. When you hit it u transfer force on it because you had acceleration and it also exerted opposite force on you because it had negative acceleration. So that relative to some external observer, you both are at rest.

R Power said:
No sir,
U don't see book not accelerating doesn't mean it's not accelerating, u are outside of book-hand system.
You're saying that you see the book accelerating, but I standing next to you will not? Come on.
Consider you are a book. You are freely falling, so you will experience acceleration(say relative to something),
So now you're talking about a book in free fall, not one held in your hand?
now suddenly you see a book down in your way which is accelerating exactly at negative rate of yours.
Are you viewing things from the accelerating frame of a falling book?
When you hit it u transfer force on it because you had acceleration and it also exerted opposite force on you because it had negative acceleration.
This is not making much sense.

If a dropped book collides with a table they will exert forces on each other, but not because they have 'acceleration'.

I didn't saw the book accelerating but I imagined.

Related to Collision at constant velocity

1. What is a collision at constant velocity?

A collision at constant velocity refers to a situation where two objects collide with each other while maintaining a constant velocity, meaning they are moving at the same speed and direction before and after the collision.

2. What are the different types of collisions at constant velocity?

There are two types of collisions at constant velocity: elastic and inelastic. In an elastic collision, both objects bounce off each other with no loss of kinetic energy. In an inelastic collision, there is a loss of kinetic energy due to the objects sticking together or deforming upon impact.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a collision at constant velocity?

The outcome of a collision at constant velocity is affected by the mass, velocity, and angle of the objects involved, as well as the type of collision (elastic or inelastic). The surface characteristics and any external forces acting on the objects can also impact the outcome.

4. How is momentum conserved in a collision at constant velocity?

Momentum is conserved in a collision at constant velocity through the law of conservation of momentum. This means that the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, regardless of any energy lost or gained during the collision.

5. What are some real-life examples of collisions at constant velocity?

Some real-life examples of collisions at constant velocity include a car hitting a stationary object, two billiard balls colliding on a pool table, and a ball rolling off a table and hitting the floor. These are all examples of collisions where the objects were moving at a constant velocity before and after impact.