Solve log6(x+6) - log6(x-4) = 3 | Log Subtraction Help

• Thread starter tommy2st
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation log6(x+6) - log6(x-4) = 3. One person attempted to solve it and got an answer of 25/6, but the program said it was wrong. Another person suggested using the property of logarithms to simplify the equation and solve for x. The first person realized their mistake and solved the equation correctly.
tommy2st

Homework Statement

log6(x+6) - log6(x-4) = 3

2. The attempt at a solution

150/36 is what i get which i simplified to 25/6.
but the program tells me I am wrong can anyone think of how I am getting this wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
anybody?

I get something close, what steps did you do to get at that answer?

The logarithms (of the same base) are exponents so you can do:

log6(x+6) - log6(x-4) = 3

[tex] log_6 \frac{x+6}{x-4}=3[/tex]

[tex] 6^3 = \frac{x+6}{x-4}[/tex]

If you made that far, then you should find the rest of the steps.

lewando said:
I get something close, what steps did you do to get at that answer?

i figured it out now. i was squaring the base instead of cubing it. thanks for your help tho !

So what did you get?

1. How do I solve log equations?

To solve a log equation, you can use the properties of logarithms and algebraic manipulation. In this case, we can combine the two logs using the quotient property and then solve for x.

2. What is the quotient property of logarithms?

The quotient property states that logb(x/y) = logb(x) - logb(y). In this equation, we have log6(x+6) - log6(x-4) = 3, so we can rewrite it as log6((x+6)/(x-4)) = 3.

3. How do I graph logarithmic functions?

To graph logarithmic functions, you can first determine the domain and range of the function and then plot points to create a smooth curve. In this equation, the domain is restricted to (4, infinity) since log6(x-4) must be positive, and the range is all real numbers. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph logarithmic functions.

4. How do I know if my solution is extraneous?

In logarithmic equations, it's possible to get extraneous solutions, which are values that satisfy the equation but are not valid solutions. To check if a solution is extraneous, you can plug it back into the original equation and see if it results in a negative or undefined value under the logarithm.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation. You can use the log function on your calculator to find the logarithm of each side of the equation, and then use algebra to isolate x. Just be careful to check for extraneous solutions when using a calculator.