How much contaminant escapes through a barrier in 30 days?

• Thread starter Sadeq
  • Start date
In summary, a structural engineer with limited knowledge in environmental studies is seeking help with a question related to soil porosity, bulk density, and permeability in relation to a clean-up barrier. The question involves calculating the amount of contaminant escaping through the barrier in 30 days. The engineer is seeking guidance and mentions using a textbook called "Earth Science: The Water Planet" for assistance.
Sadeq
hi all
i am structural engineer, and i tok an environment course because the course options was limted
i have a question to solve but the problem i feel stupied because my back ground in this area is zero
so please help me
the question is

A soil has a porosity of 0.23, a bulk density of 1.87 Mg/m3 and a permeability of 9.6 x10-8
m/s. It is being used as a clean-up barrier 450mm thick underneath a waste deposit that covers 50 x 120 m plan area. There is a hydraulic head of 1.8m across the barrier. If the contaminant concentration in the fluid which passes through the barrier is, initially, 125 mg/l, calculate how much contaminant escapes through the barrier in 30days. The partition coefficient is 25 l/kg. Ignore diffusion and dispersion effects in this case and assume that the thickness of the barrier acts uniformly.
Hints:
1) you will (probably1) need to calculate the ratio of the mass of solids to the volume of water in the soil.
2) you may consider the flow through the barrier as being a number of discrete transits, each comprising one bed-volume which suddenly replaces the previous bed-volume, waits without moving for the length of time indicated by the transit time, and then is suddenly displaced by the next bed volume.
3) I suggest you work out the contaminant that escapes for the first bed-volume; then work out the volume escaping in the second bed-volume. After that you will be able to set up a spreadsheet-based solution for as many bed-volumes as you need.

please help me ,because i feel lost

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not within my comfort zone but it seems to be covered well in a textbook,
"Earth Science: The Water Planet" issued by McGraw Hill, chapter 3 Groundwater.

(Google hints)

Thank you very much.
I don't have an access for this book.
The main problem this not my major ,so please guide me

I will be thankful fro you for whole of my life

1. What is the definition of the environment?

The environment refers to the natural world, including all living and non-living things, and their interactions with each other. It includes the air, water, land, and all the ecosystems and organisms that inhabit them.

2. How does human activity impact the environment?

Human activities such as pollution, deforestation, and overconsumption of natural resources can have negative impacts on the environment. These activities can disrupt the balance of ecosystems, leading to biodiversity loss, climate change, and other environmental issues.

3. What are some ways to reduce our environmental footprint?

Some ways to reduce our environmental footprint include using renewable energy sources, reducing waste and recycling, conserving water, and choosing sustainable and eco-friendly products. Making small changes in our daily habits can also make a big difference in reducing our impact on the environment.

4. What are the effects of climate change on the environment?

Climate change can have various impacts on the environment, including rising sea levels, more frequent and severe natural disasters, changes in weather patterns, and extinction of species. It can also affect human health, food production, and economies.

5. How can we protect the environment for future generations?

We can protect the environment for future generations by implementing sustainable practices, conserving natural resources, reducing pollution, and promoting environmental education and awareness. It is also essential to advocate for policies and actions that prioritize environmental protection and sustainability.

Back