Thermodynamics of a floating cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of energy due to the buoyancy of a deformed water surface caused by a floating cylinder in an infinite tank. The person is trying to compare the energy of a flat surface with the deformed surface, specifically looking at the energy due to the buoyancy of the displaced liquid. Their reasoning involves calculating the difference in energy between the deformed and flat surfaces using integrals and formulae for pressure, area, and gravity. They are unsure if their reasoning is correct and question whether a depressed liquid surface would have buoyancy.
private_donkey
I am wondering if my reasoning is correct for determining the energy due to the buoyancy of a deformed water surface.

Essentially, one has a floating cylinder that depresses the surface of a liquid in an infinite tank as seen in the figure. I want to compare the energy of a flat surface with the energy of the deformed surface due to the displacement of the liquid by air (I know there are other energies involved but for the time being I am only looking at the energy due to the buoyancy of the displace liquid due to the deformed surface), not including the liquid displaced by the cylinder.

My reasoning is
[tex]
\begin{align}
E_{deformed} - E_0 &= \int_0^{-h} -F_{buoyancy} dz \\
&= \int_0^{-h} -P A dz \\
&= \rho g \int_0^{h} z \pi f(z)^2 dz
\end{align}
[/tex]

where [itex] \rho [/itex] is the density of the liquid. P is pressue, given by [itex] P = \rho g z [/itex], A is area, and thus A dz is volume of the displace liquid. [itex] A [/itex] can be given by [itex] A = \pi f(z)^2 [/itex], where [itex] f(z) [/itex] describes the radius from the centre of the cylinder to the edge of the meniscus to make infinitesimal disks as a function of z. g is gravity accel.

Is this reasoning correct?

Attachments

• float.png
    float.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 507
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Not sure...Would a depressed liquid surface have a buoyancy? Because you are displacing liquid against gravity right...?

1. What is the thermodynamics of a floating cylinder?

The thermodynamics of a floating cylinder refers to the study of the energy and heat transfer processes involved in the behavior and stability of a cylindrical object on the surface of a fluid.

2. How does the density of the fluid affect the floating cylinder?

The density of the fluid has a direct impact on the buoyancy of the floating cylinder. A higher density fluid will provide more buoyant force, making the cylinder float higher in the fluid.

3. What is the significance of the surface tension in the thermodynamics of a floating cylinder?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in the stability of a floating cylinder. It is the force that holds the fluid molecules together at the surface, creating a tension that helps keep the cylinder afloat.

4. How does the temperature of the fluid affect the floating cylinder?

The temperature of the fluid can affect the buoyancy of the floating cylinder by changing the fluid's density. A higher temperature fluid will have a lower density, resulting in less buoyant force and potentially causing the cylinder to sink.

5. What other factors can influence the thermodynamics of a floating cylinder?

The shape and weight distribution of the cylinder, as well as the viscosity of the fluid, can also impact its stability and behavior on the surface. Additionally, external forces such as wind or waves can affect the cylinder's movement and equilibrium.