How Many Swaps Can Bubble Sort Take for Six Items?

• Thread starter phospho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algorithm
In summary, to find the maximum number of interchanges needed to sort a list of n pieces of data using the bubble-sort algorithm, you can use the formula n (n-1) / 2. This is derived by adding up an incrementing series of numbers and dividing the sum by 2.
phospho
Q: Find the maximum number of interchanges needed to sort a list of six pieces of data using the bubble-sort algorithm

working:

for the first past, maximum needed is n-1 swaps where n is the amount of the pieces of data
2nd - n-2
3rd - n-3
4th - n-4
5th - n-5

so generally it takes

(n-1) + (n-2) +... (n-(n-1))

is this correct? It works for six as the it will be a maximum of 15 swaps, also how can I generalise this?

Physics news on Phys.org
This would be more suitable for the computer science section, but hey ill help.

Consider an array of natural numbers ( I'll be using some java syntax here to provide a practical example ) :

int[] nums = {0,1,2,3,4,5,...n};

and presume you want to sort it from highest to lowest ( So we have a worst case scenario here ).

There are n elements in the array, so to move 0 to the nth position would require n-1 exchanges.

The next exchange for 1 would require n-2 exchanges.

This continues until you have n-(n-1) exchanges since n-n would be redundant because the list is sorted at that point.

I suppose a way you could generalize this would be to say :

[itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n-1}[/itex] (n-k)

Zondrina said:
This would be more suitable for the computer science section, but hey ill help.

Consider an array of natural numbers ( I'll be using some java syntax here to provide a practical example ) :

int[] nums = {0,1,2,3,4,5,...n};

and presume you want to sort it from highest to lowest ( So we have a worst case scenario here ).

There are n elements in the array, so to move 0 to the nth position would require n-1 exchanges.

The next exchange for 1 would require n-2 exchanges.

This continues until you have n-(n-1) exchanges since n-n would be redundant because the list is sorted at that point.

I suppose a way you could generalize this would be to say :

[itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n-1}[/itex] (n-k)
Cheers,

btw I had no idea it was the wrong section, in the UK, this is under our maths syllabus and we're not programming anything, but I can see how it leads to things :)

thanks again.

There's a trick to adding up an incrementing series of numbers, arrange the numbers forwards and backards and add up the sum:

Code:
n-1 + n-2 + n-3 + ... +   1
  1 +   2 +   3 _ ... + n-1
---------------------------
  n +   n +   n + ... +   n

This sum equals n (n-1), but since the array was added twice divide by 2:

(n-1) + (n-2) + (n-3) + ... + 1 = n (n-1) / 2

Your understanding of the bubble-sort algorithm is correct. The maximum number of interchanges needed to sort a list of n pieces of data using the bubble-sort algorithm is (n-1) + (n-2) + ... + 2 + 1, which can be simplified to n(n-1)/2. This is known as the triangular number sequence.

To generalize this, you can say that for any list of n pieces of data, the maximum number of interchanges needed using the bubble-sort algorithm is n(n-1)/2. This can be helpful in understanding the efficiency of the algorithm and comparing it to other sorting algorithms.

FAQ: How Many Swaps Can Bubble Sort Take for Six Items?

What is a bubble-sort algorithm?

A bubble-sort algorithm is a simple sorting algorithm that repeatedly steps through the list, compares adjacent elements and swaps them if they are in the wrong order. The pass through the list is repeated until the list is sorted.

How does a bubble-sort algorithm work?

A bubble-sort algorithm works by comparing adjacent elements in a list and swapping them if they are in the wrong order. This process is repeated until the list is sorted. Each pass through the list is known as a "bubble", as the largest element in the list "bubbles" to the end.

What is the time complexity of a bubble-sort algorithm?

The time complexity of a bubble-sort algorithm is O(n^2), meaning that the time it takes to sort a list of n elements is proportional to n^2. This makes it an inefficient algorithm for large lists.

What is the best-case scenario for a bubble-sort algorithm?

The best-case scenario for a bubble-sort algorithm is when the list is already sorted. In this case, the algorithm will only need to make one pass through the list to confirm that it is sorted, resulting in a time complexity of O(n).

What is the worst-case scenario for a bubble-sort algorithm?

The worst-case scenario for a bubble-sort algorithm is when the list is in reverse order. In this case, the algorithm will need to make n passes through the list, resulting in a time complexity of O(n^2).