How to Find the General Solution for dy/dx=3√(xy)

• Thread starter rapwaydown
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses how to solve the equation dy/dx=3√(xy) for a general solution. The equation is found to be separable and the process of solving it is explained. The correct solution is y=[x^(3/2)+C]^2. The conversation also reveals that the expert summarizer is a professor teaching at a state university in the southern region of the United States.
rapwaydown
how to solve dy/dx=3√(xy) for a general solution?

PS: √ is square root sign, just in case if it is not clear.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
That equation is separable. Let me explain.

dy/dx = 3/sqrt(xy)
<=>
dy/dx = 3/sqrt(x)sqrt(y)
<=>
sqrt(y)dy = [3/sqrt(x)]dx
<=>
(2/3)y^(3/2) = 6sqrt(x) + C
<=>
y^(3/2) = 9sqrt(x) + C
<=>
y = [9sqrt(x)+C]^(2/3)

I think that's right. Does that look ok?

Last edited:
is your answer the same as y=[(x^(3/2)+c)]^2

Nope.

csprof2000 said:
Nope.

oh, i guess your answer above is wrong.
because i have the answer key, and it said the answer for this question should be y=[(x^(3/2)+c)]^2

Thank you alot.
im self learning Differential Equations, i really appreciate your help.

you have to integrate both sides simultaneously.

K.J.Healey said:
you have to integrate both sides simultaneously.

yea, that is what the book suggest me to do, but i got stuck when trying to integrate both sides

I accidentally did

dy/dx = 3 / sqrt(xy).

I'm surprised you didn't catch this. Oh well. Sorry for the confusion. Your problem is actually easier than the one I did.

dy/dx = 3sqrt(xy)
<=>
dy/sqrt(y) = 3sqrt(x)dx
<=>
2sqrt(y) = 2x^(3/2) + C
<=>
y = [x^(3/2)+C]^2

Hopefully that answers your question. It's separable.

csprof2000 said:
I accidentally did

dy/dx = 3 / sqrt(xy).

I'm surprised you didn't catch this. Oh well. Sorry for the confusion. Your problem is actually easier than the one I did.

dy/dx = 3sqrt(xy)
<=>
dy/sqrt(y) = 3sqrt(x)dx
<=>
2sqrt(y) = 2x^(3/2) + C
<=>
y = [x^(3/2)+C]^2

Hopefully that answers your question. It's separable.

its ok. thanks a lot csprof2000
im self learning this, so you will be surprise by how simple my questions are.
they are easy for you, but not esay for me.
im doing my best to get an overall knowledge of Differential Equations before i enter college.
thanks again csprof2000.
i have one question though, are you a teacher or professor?

A professor, but thankfully not of anything as hard as this. They have me doing the introductory sequence, mostly...

csprof2000 said:
A professor, but thankfully not of anything as hard as this. They have me doing the introductory sequence, mostly...

this explain why i spend like about 2 hours on 3 questions, and still can't figure out any of them, but you spend like a few minutes and sloved one of the questions.
where do you teach?

I'd rather not say, if that's alright. I like to maintain some anonymity in these forums, and I don't want any of my students figuring out whom I am.

But it's in the USA, in the South. A state university...

What is the general approach to solving dy/dx=3√(xy)?

The general approach to solving this type of differential equation is to first separate the variables, then integrate both sides, and finally solve for the dependent variable (in this case, y).

Can I use separation of variables to solve dy/dx=3√(xy)?

Yes, separation of variables is a commonly used method for solving this type of differential equation. It involves isolating the dependent and independent variables on opposite sides of the equation.

What are the key steps in solving dy/dx=3√(xy) using separation of variables?

The key steps in solving this differential equation using separation of variables are: 1) Isolate the dependent and independent variables on opposite sides of the equation, 2) Integrate both sides with respect to their respective variables, 3) Rearrange the equation to solve for y, and 4) Substitute any initial conditions to find the specific solution.

Are there any other methods for solving dy/dx=3√(xy)?

Yes, there are other methods such as substitution, integrating factors, and power series solutions. However, for this specific type of differential equation, separation of variables is the most commonly used and efficient method.

What are some real-world applications of solving dy/dx=3√(xy)?

This type of differential equation can be used to model growth and decay in biological systems, chemical reactions, and population dynamics. It can also be used in physics to describe the movement of particles in a medium with resistance or the flow of fluids in a porous medium.