Is this vector calculus notation correct?

In summary: The author discusses how to transform an equation from rectangular to cylindrical coordinates. They note that this transformation does not apply to vector fields, but need approval from a supervisor before making that statement.
hotvette
Homework Helper
My vector calculus is a bit rusty. Can anyone tell me if the following uses proper symbolism?

[tex]
F &= \left[\begin{matrix}f_1(x_1,x_2) \\ f_2(x_1,x_2) \\ f_3(x_1,x_2) \end{matrix}\right]
\qquad x = \left[\begin{matrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{matrix}\right]
\qquad \frac{DF}{dx}&=
\left[\begin{matrix}
\rule{0pt}{3ex}\frac{\partial f_1}{\partial x_1} & \frac{\partial f_1}{\partial x_2} \\
\rule{0pt}{3ex}\frac{\partial f_2}{\partial x_1} & \frac{\partial f_2}{\partial x_2} \\
\rule{0pt}{3ex}\frac{\partial f_3}{\partial x_1} & \frac{\partial f_3}{\partial x_2}\end{matrix}\right]
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first two look correct, but I don't think [tex]\frac{DF}{dx}[/tex] is a common notation. I would use just [tex]DF[/tex] or maybe [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex].

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobian_matrix" uses the notation [tex]J_F[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Im very turned around in vector calc! I have the equation 4y2 -4z2=5y/x-4x2 and I need to convert it from rectangular to cylindrical coordinates. Could someone explain this better than my professor?

Hi, Jon89bon!

I had a bit of vector calculus in my first semester at the university and I'm not sure if what I paste here is truly correct, so it would need an overview from a supervisor :)

Here's what we do:

1. we transform the equation: 4y^2 -4z^2=5y/x-4x^2 into

(4y^2 -4z^2+4x^2)x-5y=0=:f(x,y,z) and set a func. f equal to it.

2. As f is a SCALAR field, we could use the transformations:

(x,y,z)=(rcos(a),rsin(a),z), where r^2=x^2+y^2 and a is the angle of rotation around the z-axisremark: if you're good at algebra, you could skip the first step :)IMPORTANT: I think, this transformation does not apply to vector fields (when f is a vector), but I need an approval for that statement from s.o. else :)all the best, marin

Last edited:
Thanks I will work with this and see what I come up with!

Jon89bon

1. What is Vector Calculus?

Vector Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation of vectors and vector-valued functions in multiple dimensions. It is used to study and analyze the behavior and properties of vector fields, which are mathematical objects that assign a vector to each point in a given space.

2. What are the basic operations in Vector Calculus?

The basic operations in Vector Calculus include vector addition, scalar multiplication, dot product, cross product, and differentiation and integration of vector-valued functions. These operations are used to manipulate vectors and solve problems in areas such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

3. What are the applications of Vector Calculus?

Vector Calculus has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and economics. It is used to analyze and solve problems involving motion, forces, electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, optimization, and many other phenomena.

4. What is the difference between Vector Calculus and Scalar Calculus?

The main difference between Vector Calculus and Scalar Calculus is that Vector Calculus deals with vector-valued functions in multiple dimensions, while Scalar Calculus deals with scalar-valued functions in one dimension. Vector Calculus also involves additional operations such as dot and cross products, which are not present in Scalar Calculus.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Vector Calculus?

To improve your understanding of Vector Calculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic calculus and linear algebra. Practice solving problems and work through examples to gain a better understanding of the concepts. Additionally, you can seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or attend lectures or workshops on Vector Calculus.